Very Confused...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm trying to decide which mac laptop to buy and I'm very confused about the difference between having an SD card slot, or an ExpressCard/34 slot. I've read, and googles to figure out the difference better the two/which is better/worse? Still totally confused. Can anybody help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilrt1014 View Post

I'm trying to decide which mac laptop to buy and I'm very confused about the difference between having an SD card slot, or an ExpressCard/34 slot. I've read, and googles to figure out the difference better the two/which is better/worse? Still totally confused. Can anybody help?

Is there a choice? Do you use either of those cards?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    SD cards are quite popular with cameras and newer SDXC cards coming will handle video files better with more storage and speed.

SD is thin and with Apple that's a hit. Thin = sexy.

One can buy a SD to USB dongle, so having a SD slot isn't mandatory at this time.

The higher speed/storage SDXC cards are either not in production yet or are too expensive, but it's the future and that's why Apple is including a SD slot now on some of their machines.

So perhaps a few years from now the new Mac laptop you buy, SDXC access speed and storage will be a concern.

Up to 2TB on a little SDXC card? 15MB/s?

http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr...tra-sdxc-cards

Expresscard? Never had a need for it. Guess it if I had a 3G wireless card or some other specialized purpose then it would be needed.

So in conclusion if you need the most versatility in hardware, then get the Expresscard, because until the Mac can handle the SDXC speed/storage with their SD slot and SDXC become more widely available with lower prices, one can get by with a USB to SD dongle.

If you get a Mac with both, then your set.