Mail Keychain and disappearing passwords?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello

The SMTP server I use for sending email had been working fine up until just about an hour ago, although no changes were made to my setup. And I still get email on my iPhone. But every time I try to send an email or get mail from my computer, I get the pop-up asking for my password. I have run disk utility; it says hard drive is fine. I have checked in Keychain Access and it denies me access to password field. I have tried re-entering the password in the Mail Accounts section, but it disappears immediately and goes back to "please enter password" pop up and "SMTP server rejected pop up."

I have tried access the email from on line through my web server and can get on just fine so I know the password is correct.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks,

Melanie

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Try turning on authentication by going to Mail prefs > accounts and in the SMTP server list, click edit server list. Then in the advanced tab, change authentication to password and use your email account username and password.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I also have been having this problem. What I do is quit Mail and wait for a couple of hours or so and restart Mail. I'm good to go for another few days before the problem repeats. My guess is that the server is unavailable (ISP doing maintenance?) and is not responding in a way that Mail expects.

RE: Marvin - I am configured for password configuration on my IMAP account.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    I get this problem too, but only with my Hotmail account.