iPhone 4 and a new iPhone 3GS !???

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In all the excitement about the new iPhone 4 Steve introduced yesterday, I saw what sure looks like a new iPhone 3GS!

In the pricing slide, it showed prices for a 16GB iPhone 4, a 32GB iPhone 4, and ...

an 8GB iPhone 3GS ???

Now I know there has been an 8GB iPhone 3g (now sold out), and there has been both 16GB and 32GB iPhone 3GS models, but never an 8GB iPhone 3GS.

What's up with this?

Is Apple - AT&T building a new model, disabling (blowing) half the RAM, or just had a bad day proof reading something in the presentation?

We know that the 16GB version can be sold at $97 and still make some profit - Walmart isn't known for loosing money.

So what do you guys make of it?

I honestly don't know what to think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I think they want to keep a "low-cost" option on the table to continue to get those people who weren't dying for a smartphone, but they can get them into one and still have a good margin on the sale. Plus it makes sense to not cannibalize the sales of the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    arklabarklab Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

I think they want to keep a "low-cost" option on the table to continue to get those people who weren't dying for a smartphone, but they can get them into one and still have a good margin on the sale. Plus it makes sense to not cannibalize the sales of the iPhone 4.

But a new version never on sale before?

Why not just dump the old 3GS and be done with it?

And I still don't see it in stock/for sale anywhere.