Designer of notifications for Palm's WebOS hired by Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of the key players in creating Palm's WebOS mobile operating system, a man who designed its non-intrusive notification system, is now Apple's Senior User Interface Designer.

Rich Dellinger worked as the User Interface Design Architect at Palm for nearly 4 years. During his time there, he invented the WebOS notification system and co-developed the application framework used by the operating system found on Palm's Pre.

Dellinger was also the visual designer, interaction designer and engineer of WebOS, and he created the icon suite for Palm, Sprint and other partner applications.

Dellinger, who has more than 15 years of experience in the technology industry, was hired by Apple in May, according to his LinkedIn page. It will be his second stint with the Cupertino, Calif., company, as he worked there from 1999 to 2006 in a variety of roles, including tech support, Web design, and a 9 month stint as a user interface designer for Mac OS X, the iPod and iPhone.

"I've worked at two companies over the past 15 years," he wrote this week via Twitter, where he also wrote he was attending new employee orientation on June 1. "There are great people doing amazing work at both places."

Palm has seen an exodus of employees since it was announced in April that the struggling smartphone maker would be purchased by computer maker HP for $1.2 billion. HP has said it plans to leverage the technology in WebOS to create tablet-style devices to compete with Apple's iPad. Company officials have suggested they are less interested in the smartphone market.

"Delliger represents the latest in what could be called a minor brain drain at Palm," wrote Palm enthusiast site PrecCentral.net, "after (senior vice president) of software and services Mike Abbot left to join Twitter and the main designer for webOS, Matias Duarte, left to join up with Android. We wish Dellinger the best of luck at Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Hopefully this means Apple realized they've needed a MUCH better notification system for a while now, and this guy seems like he might be able to streamline it in very nicely. Having worked with Apple in the past doesn't hurt, either, since he already knows what will be expected.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Hopefully this means Apple realized they've needed a MUCH better notification system for a while now, and this guy seems like he might be able to streamline it in very nicely. Having worked with Apple in the past doesn't hurt, either, since he already knows what will be expected.

What the iOS interface needs is:

1) Improved notifications

2) Daily Events, Weather, etc. on the lock screen (as an option of course)

3) Quick access to turn on/off GPS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/3G from the top bar instead of having to fish through pages and pages of settings.

Do that, and the OS would be damn near perfect IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    A notification hub would be most welcome addition and it's kind of surprising it wasn't in 4.0 considering it's so fundamentally flawed.

It's odd to see the mass exodus of WebOS designers. I would figure HP would try to keep everyone since they've never been good at UI design and they'll need these same people to work on the WebOS tablet.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Let me get this straight. Homey left Apple and went to Palm and now Apple has hired him back. He started at Apple first so be basically stole Apple's stuff and gave it to Palm. Yeah that is what happened.

Rubinstein and this guy took Apple's culture and gave it to the Palm's people to make a quick buck.

I'm not surprised. there are a lot of ideas at Apple that don't get out the door but they were developed there(even if they don't get made they still belong to the company). Webos has a lot of hypercard in it. Webos is nothing but the iphone OS and hypercard with a fully realized state of play. Period.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

A notification hub would be most welcome addition and it's kind of surprising it wasn't in 4.0 considering it's so fundamentally flawed.

It's odd to see the mass exodus of WebOS designers. I would figure HP would try to keep everyone since they've never been good at UI design and they'll need these same people to work on the WebOS tablet.

It's actually quite typically when "smaller" companies getting acquired to have large employee shifts. Typically it's due to the new style of management the larger company employs. It's not unique to this deal.

With that being said, I think Apple knows that it needs to revise their notification system but there were other things that got prioritized. I mean, 1,500 new APIs for developers and all the other new stuff in 4.0 is no small feat.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Let me get this straight. Homey left Apple and went to Palm and now Apple has hired him back. He started at Apple first so be basically stole Apple's stuff and gave it to Palm. Yeah that is what happened.

Rubinstein and this guy took Apple's culture and gave it to the Palm's people to make a quick buck.

I'm not surprised. there are a lot of ideas at Apple that don't get out the door but they were developed there(even if they don't get made they still belong to the company). Webos has a lot of hypercard in it. Webos is nothing but the iphone OS and hypercard with a fully realized state of play. Period.

If he did anything Apple thought of as "basically stealing," Apple would not hire him back.

Don't be an asshole.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Well, widgets for iOS are right in the doorway.

``People keep saying you are very bright guy, but everything you did in your life was crap. Come work for me we'll set it all right' '
  • Reply 8 of 59
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Forget orientation... straight to work!!

I was pretty shocked there's been nothing done to improve this in OS4 despite what is supposed to be 100 new features.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

If he did anything Apple thought of as "basically stealing," Apple would not hire him back.

Don't be an asshole.

Agreed.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

3) Quick access to turn on/off GPS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/3G from the top bar instead of having to fish through pages and pages of settings.

I agree that pretty much covers it. Maybe something to enable the alarm clock real fast too.

I just hope it's not a year for them to get it done.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Agreed. The black Search page that shows when you hit the home button looks way too simple and it seems like a waist of real-estate. Why not add a customizable home page...
  • Reply 12 of 59
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Finally. Notifications are absolute garbage on the iPhone. This is where they are themselves years behind the competition.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Forget orientation... straight to work!!

I was pretty shocked there's been nothing done to improve this in OS4 despite what is supposed to be 100 new features.

There were plenty of other HUGE things added to iOS4. Not every feature request can be added with every OS release. I'd rather them take the time to think it out. There are good and bad things with regards to competing notification systems, and just as with cut/copy/paste & multitasking, Apple will take its time and hopefully come up with a better implementation.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    masklinnmasklinn Posts: 17member
    That's very good news. I hope he's been put to work at overhauling iOS's utterly terrible notification system.

And that his work will progress fast enough to be rolled out in a 4.1 or 4.2, waiting a year to finally get modern notifications is going to be excruciating.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Quote:

I hope so too. A 12 months release cycle for iOS seems very long if you compare to Android's 6 months. Regardless, how can the dev team at Apple outperform Android's massive open source coders...
  • Reply 16 of 59
    smeagolsmeagol Posts: 29member
    Quote:

I agree that pretty much covers it. Maybe something to enable the alarm clock real fast too.

Doubtful that it will happen pre-iOS5. Apple has always had at least 2 major new features per iOS release. iOS2 brought 3rd party apps and the app store, iOS3 brought push notifications and copy cut and paste, iOS4 brings Multi-tasking and app folders, so I am guessing iOS5 will have a complete overhaul of notifications. One more thing... I still think Palm's implementation of multi-tasking/fast user switching is more elegant that Apple's just sayin'.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

I hope so too. A 12 months release cycle for iOS seems very long if you compare to Android's 6 months. Regardless, how can the dev team at Apple outperform Android's massive open source coders...

Actually, Android's quick OS cycles is part of the reason the market is so fragmented. Google has pretty much said that they had a lot of catching up to do and that is why they have been cranking out releases, but that they would be slowing down their release cycle.

General consumers can't be constantly rushed into major new features. You have to incrementally roll them out.

With that being said, we could potentially see a new notification system by the time iOS 4 hits the iPad. Here's hoping.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Don't be an asshole.

Ditto on the first statement.

Rather harsh on the last.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Well, ignoring for the moment that Android is faux open source, if "massive open source coders" were such a tremendous advantage, Linux ought to have taken over the desktop OS market by now.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    This is good news. Let's see what they come up with.