PadBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, I'm sitting around reading about iOS -v- OS X (especially with OS X left out of the Keynote) and thinking about a "convergence" of the two to some degree next year.

Then my thoughts turned to the potential of a "PadBook", which would basically be the iPad in a MacBook case - but maybe a bit smaller.

I had been thinking that the iPad might be a real killer in a 13" version, but "beefing up" the iPad might be better focused on beefing input with a keyboard. Maybe even a USB port.

Pricing? Avoiding the aluminum back can cut costs, just as the keyboard will increase them. Flip of the coin, but I think it's an interesting approach.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't think something like that would be improbable?I definitely believe iOS will scale up to larger devices in the future.

I agree with a "PadBook" being smaller than a MacBook (even if it's just thinner). Without the comparatively high system requirements of Mac OS X, the PadBook can use lower and smaller components. Certainly I'd expect a long-life battery.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    What you're describing is a smartbook; a small notebook that uses a smartphone derived OS running on ARM based hardware. They were all the rage at CES this year, but most have gone by the wayside because they were as expensive as Netbooks and tablets with far less functionality. Of course, Apple was one of the pioneers in this segment with the old Newton eMate, but I don't see a place in their lineup for this type of device today.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

OK, I'm sitting around reading about iOS -v- OS X (especially with OS X left out of the Keynote) and thinking about a "convergence" of the two to some degree next year.

The fact that OS/X was left out of the keynote means absolutely nothing. Is this really all that difficult to understand. Apple has a fixed set of resources available to put on WWDC and a correspondly significant product launches to support. So wheredo you think they will focus their efforts?

Apple has implied nothing about OS/Xs future, rather we have a bunch of people trying to create a crisis where none exists. It is pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Quote:

Then my thoughts turned to the potential of a "PadBook", which would basically be the iPad in a MacBook case - but maybe a bit smaller.

By late this year or early next Apple will able to put a lot of compute power into a Mac Book and at the same time greatly extend battery life. Or they could go extremely low power, either way they would be deliverying a complete UNIX computer. A 13" laptop running iOS would offer absolutely nothing for the average user to take advantage of.

Quote:

I had been thinking that the iPad might be a real killer in a 13" version, but "beefing up" the iPad might be better focused on beefing input with a keyboard. Maybe even a USB port.

Apple could do well with several different iPad like devices. Esecially a couple with HD or wider aspect ratios. So I don't disagree with you here. I actually see the lack of a USB port as a big mistake on the current unit.

The problem with a USB port is that then everyone expects their device to run on your hardware. This flies in the face of Apple marketing of the iPad as an appliance. Even Apples solution to a USB port, that is the camera connection kit is marketed with limited scope as a Camera Connection kit so that expectations are minimized.

As good an idea as USB is, it does not jive with Apples appliance vision.

Quote:

Pricing? Avoiding the aluminum back can cut costs, just as the keyboard will increase them. Flip of the coin, but I think it's an interesting approach.

I don't think it will fly. The main reason is that we will soon be seeing ultra low power laptops that will have similarly long battery run times when compared to ARM devices. All a Apple would need to do is to enhance sleep mode so that "instant" start up is possible. That is getting into an app is as quick as it is on an iPad.

Dave