Apple's website goes breaks under iPhone 4 preorder load

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
[Edit: Yeah, the thread title is messed up. That's what happens when i try to post half-asleep, without my glasses, while simultaneously trying to preorder an iPhone on a broken website.]

The Apple website just errored out for the 8th time while I was trying to preorder. The first two times my session timed out despite immediately clicking through each page. Every time after, clicking on "Add to Cart" resulted in an "Oops" error with a link to return to the apple homepage. Except for the 8th time. That produced the "We'll be back soon. We are busy updating the store for you and will be back shortly" post-it note error message.

At least I'm damn quick at clicking through all the the order pages at this point.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    White knuckles, sweaty, brow, clinched teeth... TRYING_NOT_TO PANIC!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Wow, it has been broken for over an hour! Somewhere there is a seriously stressed-out bunch of sys admins.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Maybe they shouldn't have fired them until after the problem was fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Hmmm, yeah. The website is back but the "Add to Cart" button still results in "Your session expired".
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Its back down again.

Did anyone try choosing the pick up at an apple store option? I only tried the direct shipment option. Interestingly, prior to going down again, the store stopped offering the direct shipping option and only allowed a pick-up reservation.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Same here. It said there was a problem processing my request and sent me to the in-store pick-up page. That page failed before I could complete the process.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Now it is saying that the price is $599 for pick-up, yet I am eligible for an upgrade. WTF!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Now, it's just down again. It's going to be a long day.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Perhaps this isn't load related. Some pages load instantaneously while others don't. It appears to be the same pages every time. For instance, querying current plan info takes forever, but then choosing new options is quick.

heheh, normally I don't bother trying to order early. But it just so happens that I took a vacation day to completely gut my computer room down to the studs. I suppose it would be possible to order from my original iPhone. But the browsing on that phone is so slow to begin with, that a lagging website might not work at all.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Has anyone managed to do a successful preorder?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    tutumiles1tutumiles1 Posts: 115member
    I have had the same experiences.... I knew there would be a lot of traffic, which is why I got up early this morning. I love Apple but it is sad to see the product launch fail... Makes you want to question if beloved Apple is now too big....

I hope they get it together because I love the products. Hopefully these issues are not caused by AT&T. One day, hopefully soon, we will not be carrying this ball and chain around forever.