Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.4 with trackpad, CS3 related fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Mac OS X 10.6.4, its latest update for the Snow Leopard operating system, with fixes related to Adobe's Creative Suite 3, as well as a resolution for an issue that could cause a Mac keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive.

The latest update for Mac OS X also includes Safari 5, released last week with extensions, expanded HTML5 support, and the new Reader functionality. The 315.5 MB update is available via software update and is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

In addition to general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of Mac systems, Apple said it includes fixes that:

resolve an issue that causes the keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive

resolve an issue that may prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening

address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers

improve reliability of VPN connections

resolve a playback issue in DVD Player when using Good Quality deinterlacing

resolve an issue editing photos with iPhoto or Aperture in full screen view

improve compatibility with some braille displays

Apple released numerous betas for Mac OS X 10.6.4. Since May, those familiar with the builds said they were clear of known issues.

The last update to Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.3, was released in late March. It packed fixes for QuickTime X and Open GL-based applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I was expecting a few more days wait after the drop yesterday.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Now if Apple has finally gotten support for spec. 3.0 calibration profiles working, it would be great.

In addition, if they've also gotten their experiments with Trim finished, and in here, it will be great as well.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I was expecting a few more days wait after the drop yesterday.

Same with me. I have this trackpad issue for the last 3 years (only in some programs like Filemaker and Omnigraffle) were I make changes to a field and the trackpad is unresponsive (not all the time - &%#@) from a half a second to 2. A few days more to wait? No problem.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Now if I could use Time Machine on my NAS!
  • Reply 5 of 68
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
  • Reply 6 of 68
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Here's hoping to the wireless SMB file copy issues being resolved.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    i hope this fixes the safari 5 issues...i have had one kernel panic (first one ever) since i installed it...
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Hopefully those who are on MacBooks with GMA X3100 graphic cards experiencing graphic corruption issues like myself won't have this problem anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    was 224MB on my end.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In addition, if they've also gotten their experiments with Trim finished, and in here, it will be great as well.

Per ChristophB, TRIM in still not supported in 10.6.4 (10F569), but this could be machine dependent at this time so I'll verify with my current MBP.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i hope this fixes the safari 5 issues...i have had one kernel panic (first one ever) since i installed it...

Are you running Extensions? I haven't had any kernel panics, but I have had Safari 5 crash often since trying out Extensions. Unfortunately the Crash Logs aren't helpful, but by systematically turning Extensions on I think I've isolated the culprits.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Now if I could use Time Machine on my NAS!

You cannot? why? I use it with my NAS without problems...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

Me too, Safari 5 crashes on a regular basis for me - hope this fixes it.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you running Extensions? I haven't had any kernel panics, but I have had Safari 5 crash often since trying out Extensions. Unfortunately the Crash Logs aren't helpful, but by systematically turning Extensions on I think I've isolated the culprits.

I use adblock for safari ( http://safariadblock.com/ )
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

I use adblock for safari ( http://safariadblock.com/ )

That is 1 of 3 I removed as an issue. I don't recall the names of the others off hand as they weren't that important.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:

i only have clicktoflash installed, that might have been the culprit...no extensions whatsoever...
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

That is 1 of 3 I removed as an issue. I don't recall the names of the others off hand as they weren't that important.

The developer says its a safari issue

Quote:

Known Issues

Safari crashes on some web pages at random. This is a Safari bug and I've told the Safari team.

so here is hope...

edit: also, has anybody found a good place to get those extensions?
  • Reply 17 of 68
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    10.6.4 updates Mail to version 4.3, which breaks the GrowlMail plugin. I just learned it the hard way and am pretty annoyed right now, since it saves the time hassle of opening Mail every time I get a message to see what it is. If you use GrowlMail and 10.6.3 works fine for you, wait for a GrowlMail update first!
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

The developer says its a safari issue

so here is hope...

edit: also, has anybody found a good place to get those extensions?

To be clear, my testing was done by disabling an extenstion and seeing if the site crashed again. This isn't foolproof and it could still be a Safari issue even if an extension was the catalyst for Safari being flaky. Still I'd say my testing could fall under post hoc, ergo propter hoc, but I have had the issue since disabling select extensions so I'll wait for an update before re-enabling them.

Good place, I'm not so sure, but a couple decent sites I've found are:
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Strange. I had 10.6.3 running on my MacBook. I started software update and it downloaded an update weighing more than 600 MB. I don't know which special packages I have got for my MacBook now?
  • Reply 20 of 68
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

10.6.4 updates Mail to version 4.3, which breaks the GrowlMail plugin. I just learned it the hard way and am pretty annoyed right now, since it saves the time hassle of opening Mail every time I get a message to see what it is. If you use GrowlMail and 10.6.3 works fine for you, wait for a GrowlMail update first!

I don't have any Mail plug-ins that I have installed, and I tried Mail. There was an immediate message that Mail messages needed to be upgraded. After the upgrade, Mail worked fine.

GrowlMail may not be able to handle the message upgrade.