Used iPhone 3g/3Gs checklist

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Some of us are not going to be bleeding edge, we are going to be trailing edge.

I've done a massive upgrade from an iPhone 2G to an iPhone 3G this year but with all of you selling off your older iPhones, the temptation to upgrade again is becoming pretty irresistible. I'm seeing the occasional $250 off contract iPhone 3GS/16 gig with a fair number at less than $300.

Since I'm sure I could get $190-200 for my unlocked iPhone 3g/8 gig, that means less than $100 for a pretty substantial upgrade is a possibility.

So then the point becomes, what do I need to check on these phones I would be evaluating. Some things are obvious like the buttons. Others become less obvious and that is of course what this thread is for, generating a checklist to help with such purchases. It would be great to note any apps that would help with the screen since that is the biggest possible problem to evaluate in my view.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

1. Check all the buttons.

2. Bring some headphones along and check the headphone jack.

3. Insert your sim and make a call, listen for ear piece and mic levels and static.

4. .........

NEXT...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Some of us are not going to be bleeding edge, we are going to be trailing edge.

I've done a massive upgrade from an iPhone 2G to an iPhone 3G this year but with all of you selling off your older iPhones, the temptation to upgrade again is becoming pretty irresistible. I'm seeing the occasional $250 off contract iPhone 3GS/16 gig with a fair number at less than $300.

Since I'm sure I could get $190-200 for my unlocked iPhone 3g/8 gig, that means less than $100 for a pretty substantial upgrade is a possibility.

So then the point becomes, what do I need to check on these phones I would be evaluating. Some things are obvious like the buttons. Others become less obvious and that is of course what this thread is for, generating a checklist to help with such purchases. It would be great to note any apps that would help with the screen since that is the biggest possible problem to evaluate in my view.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

1. Check all the buttons.

2. Bring some headphones along and check the headphone jack.

3. Insert your sim and make a call, listen for ear piece and mic levels and static.

4. .........

NEXT...

4) GPS. Mine worked perfectly and then completely died a year ago. I can get a fairly accurate position from Wifi and basic cell tower triangulation, most of the time, but never get the pulsing blue dot of a GPS lock. I say most of the time because it often places me a couple KM away from where I am. When it was new it was dead on, within a few feet usually. It has placed me as far as 20 KM, but usually 1-2KM. I've read that this was fairly common with 3G units but while it has happened to 3GS units, it is not as common.

5) tripped moisture indicators

6) camera functions properly