Anybody having problems with photo quality in iOS4?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I update went great and I love the new features. However, I have nearly 6000 photos on my current iPhone and when I go into my library and choose any photo it is extremely messed up. If I take a picture and it sits in the "Roll" then it is just fine. I noticed the problem when I wanted to set up a different picture for the lock screen, as I put the "bubble" effect in the background of the main wallpaper.



The quality of photos stored in the library look like they've been taken under water.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Bummer. I have several hundred on mine and they all look fine (just left them there for the update). After seeing your post, I flipped through them to check.



    Have you taken a new photo (on your computer) and synced it over to see it it, too, is affected?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    My photos look the same after upgrade from 3GS. Sorry man. Maybe take them all off and try to re-sync?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nhtnht Posts: 4,392member
    3G phone updated. My photos are all blurry too...going to try to unload and resync the photos. That would be painful with 6000 photos.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    nht is on a 3G... What about you footloose?



    Like Jupiter, I'm on a 3GS.



    Could it be a model problem?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,742member
    Mine are crap too. The thumbnails are super sharp, but the actual pics looks like the pics are loading just before they come into focus....but it stays that way. I will try resyncing (also have 5600 synced).



    I know the upgrade to iOS 4 resyncs the photos after the upgrade is done, so I am not hopeful this will do anything.



    Discussions about this are at support.apple.com report this being common (I saw reports with 3G and 3GS). A sync is in fact reported to be the fix.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nhtnht Posts: 4,392member
    Removing the albums, syncing and adding the albums and syncing fixed it for me. Fortunately only a couple hundred photos...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    The reason the photos are blurry is because you didn't allow iTunes to re-sync your photos after the update. The photos will be re-optimized, then re-synced after the update. Do not cancel the sync before this is finished, and you will be fine.



    You don't have to delete, then re-sync. Just go to the "Photos" tab on your device in iTunes, and click "Apply".



    Be forewarned. The re-optimizing process for 6000 photos can take an hour or two or three, or more if you're on a slow machine.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    The reason the photos are blurry is because you didn't allow iTunes to re-sync your photos after the update. The photos will be re-optimized, then re-synced after the update. Do not cancel the sync before this is finished, and you will be fine.



    You don't have to delete, then re-sync. Just go to the "Photos" tab on your device in iTunes, and click "Apply".



    Be forewarned. The re-optimizing process for 6000 photos can take an hour or two or three, or more if you're on a slow machine.



    I allowed mine to complete last night. I distinctly remember seeing a status of syncing photos, as I also saw it syncing apps.



    Hoping a resync will fix it tonight.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nhtnht Posts: 4,392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    The reason the photos are blurry is because you didn't allow iTunes to re-sync your photos after the update. The photos will be re-optimized, then re-synced after the update. Do not cancel the sync before this is finished, and you will be fine.



    You don't have to delete, then re-sync. Just go to the "Photos" tab on your device in iTunes, and click "Apply".



    Be forewarned. The re-optimizing process for 6000 photos can take an hour or two or three, or more if you're on a slow machine.



    I don't recall canceling any resyncs. I just left mine running overnight since the backup was taking forever. When I came back this morning it was just sitting ready.



    I suspect the issue is that the normal update process did not actually redo the photos in some cases since that would take even longer...that glacial backup was killer enough.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    I don't recall canceling any resyncs. I just left mine running overnight since the backup was taking forever. When I came back this morning it was just sitting ready.



    I suspect the issue is that the normal update process did not actually redo the photos in some cases since that would take even longer...that glacial backup was killer enough.



    Well, here's what happened with mine:



    I downloaded and installed the iOS4 update this morning HK time. Downloading, installing and rebooting took about half an hour. Then came syncing. After everything else synced (another 10 minutes) it gave me the notice, "Optimizing 104 of 15084 photos" or whatever it was exactly. I didn't have time to wait, knowing it would take hours, so I canceled the sync.



    My iPod now had all of the thumbnails, but none of the photos in hi-res (maybe 104 or whatever it was at when I canceled, but I didn't see any).



    So when I got home I plugged in the iPod and continued the process that I had interrupted. Three hours later, sync was complete, I unplugged the iPod and lo and behold all of my photos are hi-res again.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Cool. I actually just got home and began to sync the phone again (32GB 3GS) without reading this forum, and it is "optimizing" photos right now. I'm sure it'll fix it.



    Thanks guys
  • Reply 12 of 12
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post


    I update went great and I love the new features. However, I have nearly 6000 photos on my current iPhone and when I go into my library and choose any photo it is extremely messed up. If I take a picture and it sits in the "Roll" then it is just fine. I noticed the problem when I wanted to set up a different picture for the lock screen, as I put the "bubble" effect in the background of the main wallpaper.



    The quality of photos stored in the library look like they've been taken under water.



    How do you sync them to the phone?



    Example: If you have an iPhone library which was imported into Aperture then Aperture syncs the images tot he iPhone it re-compresses the images, making them look blurry.
Sign In or Register to comment.