AT&T: iPhone 4 preorders arrive this week, more available June 29

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T announced Wednesday that customers who preordered the iPhone 4 on June 15, both for in-store pickup and home or business delivery, should receive their handsets this week, while new orders will be offered first come, first served starting June 29.

"AT&T is on-track to deliver iPhone 4 to customers who preordered the device on June 15," the company said in a press release. "We look forward to offering iPhone 4 to all other customers beginning Tuesday, June 29, when it goes on sale in all AT&T sales channels."

The exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. said it will post a series of videos beginning this week on its official Facebook page, facebook.com/att. The videos will offer customers tips and instructions regarding order fulfillment, iPhone 4 activation, inventory, and information on the new MicroSIM found in the iPhone 4.

The company also provided a series of guidelines to help those buying an iPhone through AT&T:

Preordered for home or business delivery: iPhone 4 will begin arriving this week for customers who preordered. We'll send an email when each order has shipped.

Preordered for store delivery: AT&T retail representatives will begin calling customers this week to let them know their iPhone 4 is available for pick up in store.

Retail purchase (no preorder): AT&T plans to have iPhone 4 inventory - available on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last - on June 29 in its retail locations, at www.att.com, and in business sales channels. As inventory sells out, AT&T will offer the convenient option of purchasing iPhone 4 and having it delivered to a home or business or an AT&T store. As always, customers will receive an email once their order is placed, and again when it ships.

AT&T was forced to suspend preorders for the iPhone 4 on June 16, a day after it began accepting them. The wireless carrier said demand for the new handset was ten times greater than that for the iPhone 3GS a year before.

The company completely sold out of the iPhone 4 in its first day of availability. AT&T said June 15 was its busiest online sales day in history.

The company's verification servers for existing customers were jammed for hours, leaving many customers unable to preorder the iPhone 4. Apple, too, had to temporarily reject callers from its 800 number due to demand.

On June 16, Apple changed the shipping date on its website for new iPhone 4 orders to three weeks after the handset's June 24 launch. Orders for both the 16GB and 32GB models are scheduled to ship by July 14.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On June 16, Apple changed the shipping date on its website for new iPhone 4 orders to three weeks after the handset's June 24 launch. Orders for both the 16GB and 32GB models are scheduled to ship by July

I created another thread about this but haven't got a response, so maybe I'll have more luck here.

Unfortunately I was not one of the 600,000 who got their pre-order in on the first day and will have their iPhone delivered tomorrow; the rest of our orders don't ship until July 14th. My question is this: if I happened to stumble upon a retail store that had iPhone in stock, would I be able to buy one on the spot and cancel my online order? Or would AT&T's verification system deny me the ability to do so since I already have an order attached to my phone number? I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I created another thread about this but haven't got a response, so maybe I'll have more luck here.

Unfortunately I was not one of the 600,000 who got their pre-order in on the first day and will have their iPhone delivered tomorrow; the rest of our orders don't ship until July 14th. My question is this: if I happened to stumble upon a retail store that had iPhone in stock, would I be able to buy one on the spot and cancel my online order? Or would AT&T's verification system deny me the ability to do so since I already have an order attached to my phone number? I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.

i would call an ATT rep. i called the local store today with a list of questions and they were great about answering them.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i would call to verify with a representative, but i believe that any UNOPENED phone can be returned within 30 days for a full refund.

opened phone packaging = restocking fee.

Well there wouldn't be any phone to return, because if I found one in store I would only purchase it if it was prior to my online order shipping. My concern is that their verification system would say I didn't qualify for the $199 price because they've already attached an iPhone 4 to my phone number because of the pending order I have with Apple that won't ship until July 14th. Does that make sense?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I don't know why anyone ordered from AT&T. I figured Apple.com was the way to go.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I ordered on the afternoon of 15th in the AT&T store for in-store pick up. The took my order on paper no less after their system crashed. I was informed that the staff was there until midnight on the 15th entering in the paper orders. I haven't gotten an email shipment notification, nor have they charged my card (only charges were for iphone Applecare fees). However I have gotten an email from AT&T on "support for my new phone" and a text that said "Thank you for your recent iphone 4 upgrade! Before your order arrives, we have important info about activating your device. Details here: www.att.com/iphone4upgradesupport" I have serious doubts I'll get my phone this week from AT&T. Nuts.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    remarkremark Posts: 13member
    just got a call today from my radio shack store. even tho i have a pin #, i was told not to expect a phone before july 28th. i am now wondering about best buy orders also
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I don't know why anyone ordered from AT&T. I figured Apple.com was the way to go.

I don't know either.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Because after multiple attempts to preorder through Apple.com and the system crashing, one looks to other options. I know I tried to preorder through apple.com from 7 AM to 10 AM, around 10:30 I tried att and got my preorder in.

[edit] Just for clarification, I am fully aware that AT&T's verification system was to blame for the crashes...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by remark View Post

i am now wondering about best buy orders also

I called Best Buy earlier today because i pre ordered from there and they said they had received their first shipment.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steele711 View Post

I called Best Buy earlier today because i pre ordered from there and they said they had received their first shipment.

I wonder if Best Buy only has preorder units? My wife's Samsung Impression started flaking out on her this week and I convinced her tonight to get a new iPhone 4. So now I'm wondering where I can find one for purchase on Thursday? Looking at the ATT website, it appears that her account is eligible for the full upgrade discount. I assume that Best Buy and WalMart can validate the discount, right? I think she can limp by with her phone until next week, but...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    iedsriiedsri Posts: 26member
    Well, something's definitely not accurate in AppleInsiderStaff's reporting: I just checked my order status on apple.com, and it says clearly that I placed the order on June 15 (@ 8:08 pm), but that my iPhone is nevertheless not scheduled to ship until July 2nd. What gives?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    finally this morning at about 6 am EST, my FedEx number is active and shows delivery on the 24th by 3pm EST.

my order was placed at the AT&T store at 2:15 pm on the 15th. btw, the only email i ever received from AT&T was at 6 pm on the 15th telling me thank you for buying iPhone 4 blah, blah, blah.... i have never received a follow-up or shipping notification or anything.

so now it is official and i am happy
  • Reply 13 of 13
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

finally this morning at about 6 am EST, my FedEx number is active and shows delivery on the 24th by 3pm EST.

my order was placed at the AT&T store at 2:15 pm on the 15th. btw, the only email i ever received from AT&T was at 6 pm on the 15th telling me thank you for buying iPhone 4 blah, blah, blah.... i have never received a follow-up or shipping notification or anything.

so now it is official and i am happy

Hey, we both ordered from ATT at the exact same time, and I got the same info from FedEx just now. I ordered 3 phones, but actually the one I ordered at 2:15 and another at 2:30 show having been picked up at 6AM by FedEx and should be delivered to the ATT store by 3pm tomorrow, BUT, the 3rd one I ordered at 2:45 was shipped yesterday and is in the store already. Go figure.