Inside iOS 4: Missing features for iPhone 3G users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Yes benchmarks have show iOS 4 slows down the 3GS,...

3GS? Was that a typo, because I haven't heard of any 3GS users having performance problems...only 3G users. As a matter of fact my 3GS is really fast now that I upgraded. It even made me think for a second of putting off my iPhone 4 purchase.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    So there is really NO REASON for no iOS 4.x for the ORIGINAL iPhone then, since the core specs are the same as the 3G... Apple should AT LEAST update the Safari, iTunes and QuickTime features on the first iPhone just like they do on Mac OS X! \
  • Reply 23 of 91
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wersedated View Post

iOS 4 is working great on my iPad......the 2 year old products can run it but not the 2 month old ones....nice move Apple. Nice move.

C'mon... that was explained! Apple made a special fork of iOS 3.2 for the iPad, because it was a brand new form factor. As a developer, you need to do things differently (not just double the view size) to take advantage of the additional screen real estate. Someone posted that "Saying the iPad is just a big iPod, is like saying a swimming pool is just a big bath tub!"

The forking allowed both the iPad team and iPhone team to work concurrently, and isolate each from problems incurred by the other.

Then, after both products are out and have settled in, Apple can meld the two iOS requirements to a follow-on release of iOS 4.1. I suspect that will be in Oct 2010, after any new iPod Touches have been released,

That is the only intelligent way to introduce the two [quite] different products in, relatively, the same time period.

Apple learned the lesson: "Don't change everything at once!" with the MobileMe fiasco!

• Reply 24 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So there is really NO REASON for no iOS 4.x for the ORIGINAL iPhone then, since the core specs are the same as the 3G... Apple should AT LEAST update the Safari, iTunes and QuickTime features on the first iPhone just like they do on Mac OS X! \

I'd like to see Safari 5 on OS X 10.4.11 but I'll settle for Safari 4.1 and later on when I've got new Intel hardware I'll have Safari 5.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I've played at least two games, Tap Tap Revenge 3.0 and Need for Speed Underground that had severe performance issues.

I suggest that, if you can endure the performance hit, wait about a week:

-- There are a boatload of app updates in the app store

-- If iOS 4 has major performance hits, I suspect Apple will quickly release a 4.01 upgrade

The success (and reputation) of iOS is key to Apple's future!

• Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

3GS? Was that a typo, because I haven't heard of any 3GS users having performance problems...only 3G users. As a matter of fact my 3GS is really fast now that I upgraded. It even made me think for a second of putting off my iPhone 4 purchase.

As a developer, I have been using iOS 4 on my 3GS for months with no issues at all (except deprecated AIOs).

It has performed well and has been rock solid!

• Reply 27 of 91
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Power your phone off and then back on. I had similar slow (a few seconds) delays in opening apps until I turned it off and back on - and responsiveness is about normal now.

Time to upgrade is all over the map. I don't know if it's responsiveness from the server or number of apps or what it is, but some people are reporting quick results and others take longer. Mine was probably about 2 hours (iPhone 3G, Mac Mini).

See above for responsiveness. I haven't tried multitasking because it's just not something I care about on a phone.

When I update to iTunes 9.2 the sync took over an hour due to some reason it reloaded my star trek videos. Then when I did the iOS 4 update took about 20 minutes.

Why iTunes reloaded my star trek videos I do not know.

As for the new features, meh, none of these new features are big wows. Especially multitasking, the apps have to be updated. But if they're not updated, they still show up on the task bar or whatever they call it. This seems like a fail to me if it isn't really multitasking why show it there. So to shut it down you have to select all (make them wiggle) those apps on the task list and pick the one you want closed. IMO seems like a poor implementation. What does everyone else think?
  • Reply 28 of 91
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

I upgraded my 3G this morning. Opening apps is a little bit slower, but I'm not suffering anything like your numbers. Opening iPod takes less than 3 seconds; about 5-6 seconds for the camera lens to open; Safari is almost instantaneous; about 5 seconds for messages. Email seems to be the worst affected - the new combo inbox definitely feels slow. All in all, I'm pleased with the update.

Same here. Actually some actions are SNAPPIER, while most are as they used to be, and a few are slower.

There are some benchmarks out there that show that 4 makes 3GS WAY faster, and is a mixed bag on 3G.

(Oh, and the "memory usage" stats mentioned in the article are useless).
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I've been deliberating all day on whether to update my 3G with iOS 4. Hardly seems worth it. Might even slow it down?

Anybody updated 3G with new iOS?

I have a corporate iPhone and, after 2 days of trying to log into the Apple server, I was finally successful.

Whole process to upgrade to iOS 4 took about two hours. Some parts of the upgrade process were very slow, like "Backing up iPhone". The progress bar showed one green chicklet and stayed there while I went for lunch. When I got back it had advanced to three chicklets. yawn!

Eventually the upgrade process resored my phone to the original factory settings. Yikes, all my apps are gone! It eventually downloaded them from my backup on the PC.

The phone seems to run fine after the upgrade. The dock looks different and the unified Inbox is cool. I don't see any spellchecking in my email ( I thought it was supposed to give me that). I'll need to play around with it for a couple more days to judge how it performs, but so far web surfing and checking emails is the same.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suggest that, if you can endure the performance hit, wait about a week:

-- There are a boatload of app updates in the app store

-- If iOS 4 has major performance hits, I suspect Apple will quickly release a 4.01 upgrade

The success (and reputation) of iOS is key to Apple's future!

Speaking of the devil there, an update for one of those two apps just popped up and when played, it did indeed do better.

However Apple's rep and the performance of iOS 4 isn't going to be judged by the actions of guys like me who are basically taking the phone and attempting to make it do things they said it ought not do related to performance issues. The performance on Tap Tap Revenge was very close. It had the occasional hiccup and since I have the minimum config with wallpapers and multitasking enabled, those hiccups are likely on me at this point and not on Apple or the TapTap folks.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    I've noticed my 3G, still on 3.13, has been getting a lot slower over the last month or two. This seems to happen with every release: it's new and it's very responsive and you go "Wow, they fixed it and sped it up!" Then after a few weeks it gets sluggish again. And Buggy. And sometimes Crashy. I don't get it. I doubt it's intentional, but who knows?

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with me having album art on my nearly 8 gigs of music (16 gig phone), because that's really useful to me when I play it in my dock in my car. Some people have faster phones than others perhaps. Or maybe I leave too many pages open in Safari. Or maybe because I had an unlocked and jail broken 2G and then migrated to the 3G that I never unlocked or jailbroke. Could that slow it down?

Seems to me iOS 4 may be geared toward the 3GS and the 4 with the 3G as an afterthought. Probably was only added to the 3G for marketing reasons, since it has pretty much the same specs as the original (processor too?). I'll have to mess with a 4 before I buy one. I'd really like a different carrier and I tend to run into a lot of flash sites as a photo/video/media guy, so I'd like that too. Enough to switch? I don't know yet. The 4 looks pretty slick though.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Upgrade took a bit less than 2 hours (not including download of the iOS 4.0), backup was very slow and restore was very slow because it restores everything, even music?

At first it seemed to lag A LOT but with use the speed seemed to increase, and is now stable and snappy.

HOWEVER: My battery used to last about 18 hours (I have WiFi off most of the time, but did use it a bit, like always; 3G off always? with my country's cell network there is no real difference between 3G and EDGE; BlueTooth usage about 2 hours [for earphones] and off the rest of the time, like normal)?

With iOS 4 battery died completely after about 10 hours (hard to say since I unplugged at 5:30 am, noticed the decrease in battery and plugged in for about 30 minutes mid-day because of an expected long day at work and finally died at about 6:30 pm)

I hope that after charging (again) tonight, tomorrow this will either: stabilize or confirm less (about 30% less) battery life?

It would suck to give up battery life for ?olders and unified Mailbox?

Here in México reports are that iPhone 4 will arrive at the END of September, I hope they are wrong and Carlos Slim finally takes care of his customers (? yeah, right. He's the richest MoFo for a reason?)
  • Reply 33 of 91
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Why the heck are these

Daemons for features switched off:

? BTServer: 684KB (I have bluetooth off)

? accessory: 550KB (I never use accessories)

? lockdownd: 1.56MB (Monitoring activation status ? I have an unlocked

? ptpd: 1.29MB (Tethering, I have tethering off)

Also look at these 2 daemons:

? aosnotifyd: 2.6MB (Mobile.me sync ? so much for 1 open socket?)

? dataaccessd: 3.74MB (Exchange calendar sync ? oh my God!)

Running even if i have the bloody features turned off?

You could save 8.8MB Memory if these are off. On a 128MB Memory 3G that is a lot....
  • Reply 34 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I've been deliberating all day on whether to update my 3G with iOS 4. Hardly seems worth it. Might even slow it down?

Anybody updated 3G with new iOS?

Yep - works fine. It's not any slower.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flthere View Post

I'm not going to upgrade to 4.0, will wait out for 4.1 or 4.01 hoping that Apple still cares for 3G owners.

We have 3Gs and 3G and the 3G is fine with 4 I have seen no problems so far.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Just tried out my spellchecker in the e-mail app on my 3G. I typed in a sentence with various misspellings. Check this out:

I typed in the word "spellchek". The word was underlined in red to flag an error. I tapped on the word to correct it and the software said "No Replacements Found".

• Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

Just tried out my spellchecker in the e-mail app on my 3G. I typed in a sentence with various misspellings. Check this out:

I typed in the word "spellchek". The word was underlined in red to flag an error. I tapped on the word to correct it and the software said "No Replacements Found".

JFYI: Tried same word using Mail and Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro and 'spellchek' was underlined and the suggestion was 'sepulcher'. Perhaps your test was not in depth enough to judge iOS 4 by?
  • Reply 38 of 91
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flthere View Post

I'm not going to upgrade to 4.0, will wait out for 4.1 or 4.01 hoping that Apple still cares for 3G owners.

That is probably wise. After some time with the new install on my 3G I am kind of wishing I had waited. It definitely feels sluggish. At first it didn't seem so bad but now with after I have spent some time with it I have run into several spots where response is slow.

-kpluck
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

That is probably wise. After some time with the new install on my 3G I am kind of wishing I had waited. It definitely feels sluggish. At first it didn't seem so bad but now with after I have spent some time with it I have run into several spots where response is slow.

-kpluck

Can you be specific, my 3G seems fine and been running since the update was first out. I played all day with it. In fact it seems better in places. I have tons of apps, books and music too. I wonder what is slowing yours perhaps I haven't tried whatever it is yet. Thanks.

p.s. Your footer is missing other great miss direction quotes from SJ e.g. "Who wants to watch a movie on a small screen?"
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

How, in a measurable and detailed manner, does the iPhone 3G perform under iOS4?

That is the real deal maker/breaker as far as upgrading is concerned.

Omission of features is one clear thing.

Actual performance, of the iPhone 3G under iOS4, is the real knowledge needed.

I enabled background wallpaper and multitasking for my 3G and found there was a noticeable difference in performance compared to when the features were off. Even with the standard iOS4 I think it's quite slow compared to 3.1.3. For those of you who haven't upgraded, I recommend that you don't. If you really want to have the new features of iOS4 without sacrificing performance, there are ways to do it through JB.