Apple: Hold the phone a different way or buy a case! WTF? [Reception]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone else catch this story??

http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/app...re-holding-th/

Quote:

Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.

Apple is going to get torn a new one for this...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Anyone else catch this story??

http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/app...re-holding-th/

yeah, I was surprised too. Doesn't seem very "apple-like"
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Steve's replies are classic. The main issue with not holding it that way is for left-handed people as their palm goes over the bottom left corner. Not to mention if you do a speakerphone call, you'd sometimes hold the phone with your left hand or if you're using the phone for apps in which case you might not get an incoming call.

It would probably have been a better idea to get that antenna coming out the top of the phone.

It always seems to be AT&T related though. I never see international carriers on demos with problems like these. We'll see as more people pick up their iPhone 4 today.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The main issue with not holding it that way is for left-handed people as their palm goes over the bottom left corner.

Many people, perhaps even most, hold phones with their non-dominant hand. This frees their dominant hand for doing other tasks, including interacting with the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So I know 2 people with iPhones 4, and no matter how I held it, I could not get reception t o go down. I help it in every way described in all the stories. Could this possibly be an isolated issue that affects only a few phones?