Apple's blockbuster launch seen as just the beginning for iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While the new iPhone 4 from Apple sold a record 1.7 million units in its first three days, analysts on Wall Street believe that number would have been even higher if more supplies were available.

Piper Jaffray

Sales momentum for the iPhone 4 is expected to continue, analyst Gene Munster said, thanks to a number of catalysts in the near future. Chief among them is quick international expansion, with the new handset set to become available in 88 total countries by the end of September.

Apple also revealed last week that the white iPhone 4 will go on sale in July, as the handset didn't make last week's launch date due to manufacturing difficulties.

In addition, Munster believes that about 200,000 preorders (one-third of the 600,000 announced direct from Apple) were placed after shipments were pushed back to July. Currently, new iPhone 4 preorders from Apple carry a three-week wait.

Munster believes Apple will sell 9.5 million iPhones in the June quarter, which concludes this week. That number is unchanged, despite the fact that Apple's announcement of 1.7 million units sold is 200,000 greater than his previous high-end prediction. He said the estimate for the June quarter will remain unchanged because he had a strong iPhone 4 launch already built into assumptions for the three-month frame.

UBS Investment Research

Analyst Maynard Um expects Apple to sell just 8 million iPhones this quarter, down from the record 8.75 million sold last quarter. But when supply for the iPhone 4 catches up with demand next quarter, he sees Apple selling at least 9.8 million units -- and likely even more, as he admitted that number is "conservative."

"Demand continues to remain stronger than supply as most stores remained sold out or held minimal inventory throughout the weekend and Apple's online store currently has a 3 week wait for the device," Um wrote. "Our anecdotal checks indicate that demand will be robust for some time as the company plans to launch in an additional 18 countries in July (and 88 countries by the end of Sept.); we believe the company is currently selling through every device they are able to manufacture."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Apple is doomed because Ireland said so.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Apple is doomed because Ireland said so.

Why so much hating on Ireland? I sometimes disagree with him, but he usually has interesting and useful things to contribute.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I think they're going to break 10 million which is why they've got fix this signal issue as quickly as possible. You don't want to smartphone getting a label that it can't make calls.

As of rightnow I don't think we'll see sales subside any time soon.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Why so much hating on Ireland? I sometimes disagree with him, but he usually has interesting and useful things to contribute.

He has recently been rather aggressive and insulting, even to many long time and respected posters so many are sniping back that's all. He started it. I am sure it will blow over
  • Reply 5 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There was a lot of troll-like behavior from him for a couple days but that seems to have passed so it's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You don't want to smartphone getting a label that it can't make calls.

It seems that every iPhone has had that label yet Apple still maintains their dominance as the device all others are compared to and Apple is the most profitable handset vendor in the world.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    jaypresjaypres Posts: 16member
    VERIZON: Ouch!!!
  • Reply 8 of 45
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    I wonder how much the reception problems have played into the sales numbers.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    How do I get to be a Wall Street analyst? Do they really get paid for effectively saying, "a company would have sold more of something that sold out, if only they had more of them"???

Aparantly water is also wet these days.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

How do I get to be a Wall Street analyst? Do they really get paid for effectively saying, "a company would have sold more of something that sold out, if only they had more of them"???

lol
  • Reply 11 of 45
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It seems that every iPhone has had that label yet Apple still maintains their dominance as the device all others are compared to and Apple is the most profitable handset vendor in the world.

I thought about that too when I posted but there's a difference between blaming the network and the phone. There are other areas where AT&T does provide a quality network. If the iPhone fails as well there then...

All hope is not lost though as Jimmy Fallon says his new iPhone is giving him better reception in NYC.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

All hope is not lost though as Jimmy Fallon says his new iPhone is giving him better reception in NYC.

Considering the reports of AT&T reception from NYC, "better" isn't really reassuring.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Great launch numbers... now let's sort out all the (actual, verified, factual) issues.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Because he's not part of the (self-proclaimed) AppleInsider Elite - Simple As That!
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:

C'mon! He/they are publishing advisory/analysis for investors-- their customers.

It would have been a disservice to their customers to merely state: "Apple sold a record 1.7 million units in its first three days"

What does that mean-- did they have 10 million available and only sold 1.7 million?

By restating that there was a supply constriction, they are fleshing out their report. By suggesting that they could have sold more, they are providing their analysis of the potential to investors who may not follow AAPL that closely.

They are just doing their job: gathering facts; analyzing the data; reporting the results as clearly and specifically as possible.

• Reply 16 of 45
    tazznbtazznb Posts: 54member
    Had Apple opened a deal with Verizon they would have MANY MORE SALES! The reason I refuse to use an iPhone is solely due to them being joined at the hips with the ultra shoddy network known as AT&T. Love the iPhone / HATE AT&T!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the new iPhone 4 from Apple sold a record 1.7 million units in its first three days, analysts on Wall Street believe that number would have been even higher if more supplies were available.

Piper Jaffray

Sales momentum for the iPhone 4 is expected to continue, analyst Gene Munster said, thanks to a number of catalysts in the near future. Chief among them is quick international expansion, with the new handset set to become available in 88 total countries by the end of September.

Apple also revealed last week that the white iPhone 4 will go on sale in July, as the handset didn't make last week's launch date due to manufacturing difficulties.

In addition, Munster believes that about 200,000 preorders (one-third of the 600,000 announced direct from Apple) were placed after shipments were pushed back to July. Currently, new iPhone 4 preorders from Apple carry a three-week wait.

Munster believes Apple will sell 9.5 million iPhones in the June quarter, which concludes this week. That number is unchanged, despite the fact that Apple's announcement of 1.7 million units sold is 200,000 greater than his previous high-end prediction. He said the estimate for the June quarter will remain unchanged because he had a strong iPhone 4 launch already built into assumptions for the three-month frame.

UBS Investment Research

Analyst Maynard Um expects Apple to sell just 8 million iPhones this quarter, down from the record 8.75 million sold last quarter. But when supply for the iPhone 4 catches up with demand next quarter, he sees Apple selling at least 9.8 million units -- and likely even more, as he admitted that number is "conservative."

"Demand continues to remain stronger than supply as most stores remained sold out or held minimal inventory throughout the weekend and Apple's online store currently has a 3 week wait for the device," Um wrote. "Our anecdotal checks indicate that demand will be robust for some time as the company plans to launch in an additional 18 countries in July (and 88 countries by the end of Sept.); we believe the company is currently selling through every device they are able to manufacture."

• Reply 17 of 45
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Where did the analyst say that?

Certainly not in this article.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Where did the analyst say that?

Certainly not in this article.

Neither of them said that. I was making a joke. Feel free to add me to your ignore list if you want to take everything ridiculously seriously and literally.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The drop of signal bars with the left hand issue is repeatable for me but if you live in a strong signal area it is a non-issue since it doesn't affect the call quality or the ability to place and receive calls.

This is the only condition I have been able to test the iPhone 4 so far since everywhere around my city usually has 5 bars. Apparently those in weaker signal areas are more affected, but as AT&T increases their coverage, the problem may become less and less significant as time goes on.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Because he's not part of the (self-proclaimed) AppleInsider Elite - Simple As That!

If the AppleInsider Elite are self-proclaimed, then I suppose anyone can be part of that group.