Microsoft recruits iPad owners for study on its Redmond campus

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Microsoft recently offered owners of Apple's iPad a "gratuity item" in exchange for participating in a survey later this month at the software giant's Redmond, Wash., headquarters.

On Tuesday, TechCrunch first noted that Microsoft, via its official Facebook page, was asking for iPad owners to come to Microsoft's Redmond campus between July 16 and July 21 for the study. Since then, the event listing has been removed from Facebook.

The original posting, from the Microsoft User Research group, noted that the Windows maker wanted to talk to iPad owners for two hours, to find out how they use the device. Specifically, Microsoft was interested in speaking with students who own an iPad.

Interested users were asked to submit a range of personal information, including their name, phone number and occupation, to [email protected]. Those who would be selected for the study were offered a "Microsoft gratuity item."

Whether the study was canceled, or its quota was filled, is unknown. As of Tuesday afternoon, it is no longer listed as an event on the company's Facebook page.

The development follows statements from Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer this week, who said that new tablet devices running the Windows 7 operating system will launch in the coming months to compete with Apple's iPad. The hardware will be created by a number of manufacturing partners, including Asus, Dell, Samsung, Toshiba and Sony. Microsoft is looking to cash in on the new found hype around tablet computers, after Apple's touchscreen iPad sold 3 million devices in its first 80 days of availability.

One partner missing from the list of hardware vendors: HP. Even though Microsoft and HP introduced a new "slate PC" running Windows 7 at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, the computer maker has since scrapped that project. The change of direction came after the company purchased smartphone maker Palm for $1.2 billion, and a new tablet-style device is expected to run the webOS mobile operating system.

But rather than run a lightweight, mobile operating system on a tablet, like Apple has done in porting iOS to the iPad, Microsoft is still pushing its full-fledged desktop operating system on touchscreen devices. Ballmer said this week at his company's annual World Partner Conference that the tablet PC market is "terribly important" to his company.

"This year, one of the most important things that we will do in the smart device category is really push forward with Windows 7-based slates," Ballmer said. He added that the devices will take different shapes, as will be dockable and some will have keyboards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Hahahhahahaha Boy are they desperate. Though it us possible they are testing software they wrote for it.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    "Microsoft recently owners of Apple's iPad a "gratuity item" in exchange for participating in a survey later this month at the software giant's Redmond, Wash., headquarters."

There seems to be a verb missing in there somewhere.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Sounds like a reasonable move towards greater adoption by the EDU sector...
  • Reply 4 of 56
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

"Microsoft recently owners of Apple's iPad a "gratuity item" in exchange for participating in a survey later this month at the software giant's Redmond, Wash., headquarters."

There seems to be a verb missing in there somewhere.

Could you offer a suggestion?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Could you offer a suggestion?

Sure, how about the change they just made themselves:

Microsoft recently *offered* owners of Apple's iPad...
  • Reply 6 of 56
    ai7rai7r Posts: 8member
    Once again Balmer thinks MS will just run in and sweep a market for some unknown reason.

Then again, this gives them a chance to unload all of those Zunes they have laying around by giving them away to iPad users. That'll go over well!
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

Maybe I should have used bold?
  • Reply 8 of 56
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Microsoft employs 88,000 people and none of them can figure out what parts of the iPad they should copy?

they've been copying Apple for decades, but NOW they aren't imaginative enough to see something and figure out what they should be copying from it?
  • Reply 9 of 56

Yep looking good.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    It's nice to have, because I can't do phone calls on the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Ah. I thought they just meant to say a gratuitous item.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I'm curious how Microsoft can make a compelling product here; at least for me, there are an awful lot of constraints they would need to accommodate:

-the 10-hour battery life

-the upper limit on weight of 1.5 lbs.

-3G at a competitive rate plan

-great display and elegant form

-effective app store environment

Their opportunities are excellent desktop integration, more end-user flexibility in hardware and software, and potentially cost, and a more robust app-finding experience.

I can see a Win7 tablet getting halfway there, and a WinMo product ~75%there if the stars were aligned properly, but i can't see it creating the same kind of environment. HP and Google have a much chance.

All for keeping Apple from resting on their laurels though!
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Yep looking good.

LOL!!

I would have put up a picture of a Abacus!

• Reply 14 of 56
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Microsoft employs 88,000 people and none of them can figure out what parts of the iPad they should copy?

they've been copying Apple for decades, but NOW they aren't imaginative enough to see something and figure out what they should be copying from it?

It's probably not a bad idea for Microsoft to see how people from a variety of walks of life use the iPad, not just Microsoft employees.

There are probably some unusual applications/uses for the device that might not be easily identifiable from a relatively homogeneous survey group such as your own employees.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    I wonder if this might have been related to a possible version of the Office apps for the iPad and not a hardware device?
  • Reply 16 of 56
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Just sounds like a survey to me. "What is it you like about the iPad? Would you consider a different device if it had those features but cost less? If we pay you $10,000 each, would you agree to be in a Windows Slate commercial?"

You know, that sort of thing.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Yep looking good.

A pencil for a chalk board ... yep that looks about right for MS R&D. LOL
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

Yep looking good.

Where are the right and left control knobs?
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Seems Microsoft completely misses the point of the iPad and why it is so popular.

Everyone I show my iPad to are completely surprised by how easy to use it is. They are used to struggling with Windows, not really understanding how it works and always having frustrations. Then they see the effortlessness by which you can just "do stuff" on the iPad and they are immediately hooked and use the device like they've had an iPad for years. These aren't tech people, but ordinary mums and dads and grandmas and granddads. Within minutes they are asking me how much it costs to get one of these devices for themselves. No wonder they are selling so quickly!

So, to put a full version of Windows 7 on a "slate PC", even with some extra pretty dressing and a touch interface, is just going to transfer the pain and frustration from the world of the desktop to the world of the tablet computer. I don't see that as being very popular amongst "ordinary" people!
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Microsoft will have a similar problem as Google do with Android. They'll both offer good software features, in many cases better than Apple do right now, but it'll be on mediocre looking hardware. The overall package that'll fall short in the end.

Walk around any Currys/PC world store in the UK and the shelves are awash with useful devices that all have that familiar look but seem so complicated and hard to use.

Right now it's all about cool. Brand image is where it's at and Apple have that in abundance. I'm surprised Google & Microsoft don't go it alone. Although Google has a far better brand image than Microsoft right now.

Like Android, Microsoft will gain market share for it's mobile platform but they really need to go all out and go for branded hardware and software. Go on challenge Apple i dare you.

It's funny but in the late 90's when Apple started getting its act together making decent looking hardware, it was always the fear and unknown, well price played a part as well, that stopped more early adoption. If it didn't run windows it wasn't worth having. How the reverse seems true today.