Apple releases iOS 4.1 beta, SDK to developers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The only thing 4.1 will do is make your bars more accurate, which really does not do much for anything.

Yes it will. It will stop the user from trying to make a call when there is no real signal to do so. Information is power and getting the correct information is indispensable. That's what the update will do... give correct information. It's then up to the user to act on that information.

It's called Wisdom. Wisdom is knowledge applied. It's not wise to make a cellphone call when your signal shows very few bars. Sure people will still try but then they might also be the same sort of people that try to walk out in front of a bus. Either way it will end badly for them... might work out for society though.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reapern View Post

It's stupid how people deny this problem to so many people. I can put my finger in the corner and stop all data transmission. I use the Speed Test app to check speeds and i usually get 1.7 mbps, but when i put my finger there it just wont go through. And if a test has already started and i put my finger there it just goes back down. i have a case on mine and it does "fix" it, but come on this is real. you might call this unscientific, but seriously, it HAPPENS. the fact of the matter is that data just wont go through. PERIOD. Hope the press conference does something for us people. unscientific or not, the end result is the same, its not good. a cosmetic change will not change that

Did you know, that you can even more reliably stop data transmission by turning your devise off?
  • Reply 43 of 48
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Did you know, that you can even more reliably stop data transmission by turning your devise off?

Did you know you can stop your whining by returning your phone NOW, within the 30 day returns period?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Too bad it doesn't have a "held in hand 'properly'" column.

There is no correct way to use a device. There's an optimal way, and a poorer way. The iPhone turns it's back on the more commonly used way, but even then it's just a guideline. Remember in 1999 when I held the flame thrower at Steve Jobs head? He told me not to hold it that way.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Did you know you can stop your whining by returning your phone NOW, within the 30 day returns period?

Sorry NanoAkron, I actually don't have an iP4 (not rolled out in my country yet), but I am very eager to buy it as soon as it is available, despite the big fuzz about the antenna- issue. You probably misinterpreted me trying to be ironic?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Suppose that this new fix simply allowed the iPhone to be capable of analyzing antennae interference to determine if the gap is being bridged or not.

When the iPhone is resting on a table and receiving a good signal it could visually suppress the signal strength by 23 decibels at all times (or whatever amount the signal drops when in the death grip). When the antennae has been bridged the iPhone stops artificially suppressing the signal strength so that the user perceives that there is minimal difference in signal strength regardless of how the phone is held.

The end user assumes the general drop in signal strength is normal because Apple has already told them that previous firmware overestimated signal strength and that their bars weren't real to begin with. Phones in areas likely to be affected by call dropouts due to the death grip are unable to make a call in the first place because you can't complain about losing something you never had to begin with.

Apple saves billions of dollars by preventing a product recall by convincing the media that a hardware problem has been resolved with a firmware update because it is no longer visually reproducible.

Next year Steve Jobs announces the new iPhone 5 featuring a "scratch-proof coating" on the antennae and Apple have miraculously found a way to bend the laws of physics and squeeze a further 23 decibels of signal strength at all times.

The next morning Steve Jobs looks into his bathroom mirror and knows he is staring at the face of God.

Good non-fiction short story.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    you have to see this video about the antenna issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU
  • Reply 48 of 48
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Just the way it looks. They are taller. Does that mean anything? Who knows. For me, it's purely cosmetic.

That was their goal to begin with. It wasn't to fix the antenna issue. The last bar wasn't really a bar so much as a dot. For people with old eyes it's nearly impossible to see. So this is a welcome improvement.

Now, it they can also do something about that last Wi-fi bar. It's also way too small. Also, 3 bars is too few. How about adding another?