7 year old Powerbook G4 867mhz finally laid to rest.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
That's 7 freaking years!!!

My only computer for the last 7 years finally had a fatal hard drive failure. It was slow, low on ram, played video choppy, survived on usb1 for ages, no wifi, but it ran 10.5.8. With not a single cent spent on repairs. I did have a kernel panic that apple diagnosed. In 2003, I spent $3300.00 can. For that kind of money I felt I spent too much and didn't get enough value. I still feel that way today.

I replaced it with a 17" i5 macbook pro for $2546.44 can. That's with competitors price matching and a $50 gift card. Macs are expensive. Many americans still can't afford macs. The often response to the expensive to go price a comparable pc from Dell. And it usually comes pretty close. But why do you have to go to Dell to do a comparison? Aren't there any off the shelf pcs that are comparable? Are macs so special that a custom pc is the only comparison? Macs do lack things like hdmi and blueray that is common place on pcs. Yet macs cost way more.

I'm glad I got the macbook pro. I'm not so happy about the sticker shock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

That's 7 freaking years!!!

My only computer for the last 7 years finally had a fatal hard drive failure. It was slow, low on ram, played video choppy, survived on usb1 for ages, no wifi, but it ran 10.5.8. With not a single cent spent on repairs. I did have a kernel panic that apple diagnosed. In 2003, I spent $3300.00 can. For that kind of money I felt I spent too much and didn't get enough value. I still feel that way today.

I replaced it with a 17" i5 macbook pro for $2546.44 can. That's with competitors price matching and a $50 gift card. Macs are expensive. Many americans still can't afford macs. The often response to the expensive to go price a comparable pc from Dell. And it usually comes pretty close. But why do you have to go to Dell to do a comparison? Aren't there any off the shelf pcs that are comparable? Are macs so special that a custom pc is the only comparison? Macs do lack things like hdmi and blueray that is common place on pcs. Yet macs cost way more.

I'm glad I got the macbook pro. I'm not so happy about the sticker shock.

Yeah, but you would go through 2 or three Dells in that same timeframe. What costs you more? Sticker-shock once, or multiple not-so shocking prices that add up to more overall?