Current Backlog- Online, Apple Store, AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Last I checked on the Apple online store, three week delay was still being quoted (although Steve said iPhone page is going to be redone in the next few days following today's free case announcement).

I read something recently where AT&T stores had a about a week backlog, but then changed to 6-8 weeks, or something like that, after Apple announced conference that happened today.

Haven't been to Apple Store recently...anyone know what's happening there? I remember when I bought my 3g that they had a way to check online to see which stores had what in stock.

Who has the shortest wait time currently to buy a new iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    My local AT&T store just told me they have a 2 -3 week wait.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I ordered an iPhone 4 from an AT&T store this past Saturday. They told me to expect delivery in 7-10 business days.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    the nearest apple store from me is a hundred miles, AT&T is 55. So I called Best Buy, they have 6-16*s and 5-32s in stock..
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by django696 View Post

the nearest apple store from me is a hundred miles, AT&T is 55. So I called Best Buy, they have 6-16*s and 5-32s in stock..

You're lucky! I tried all the Best Buys near me, and they're all sold out. One of the stores even had a recorded message that said iPhones, as well as iPads, were sold out.

I would just order one online now, but I'm going on a trip soon and doubt I would get one in time. I'll just have to put up with the slow 3G with iOS4 (that was a mistake updating).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ipaladinipaladin Posts: 20member
    At the West County Apple store in the STL area I was on the waiting list for nine days before I got my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Called my local Apple Store today to see how long orders were taking, and they had some in stock!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    This is the fifth of my "5-7 business days" and I have yet to receive my iPhone or any notice from AT&T about its delivery date.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I am dying for the ATT stores to finally have them in stock with no issues. I have gift cards to get 2 from ATT, but I can't upgrade early online, and I can't "pre-order" the phones in the store using gift cards. It sucks!!! I wish my family just gave us cash!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cor3yycor3yy Posts: 1member
    I walked into my local Apple store in Lancaster, PA on 7/22 and was able to purchase an iPhone 4 without a reservation and without being on some kind of priority list. The guy who sold me the phone said they had plenty in stock and are getting large shipments several times a week.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cor3yy View Post

I walked into my local Apple store in Lancaster, PA on 7/22 and was able to purchase an iPhone 4 without a reservation and without being on some kind of priority list. The guy who sold me the phone said they had plenty in stock and are getting large shipments several times a week.

i wonder about ATT stores out your way. I am in Quakertown area. No such luck here.. But I need an ATT store because I have gift cards and I cant pre-order the phone it has to be in stock.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Last Friday July 23rd when Apple admitted White was still further out, I called the Los Gatos CA Apple Store and was granted a 1-2 week reservation for a 32GB iP4. Then I phoned the Oakridge Mall Apple Store only about 5 miles further from me in South San Jose where I was granted a 1-2 DAY reservation. Less than 24 hours later, before they even opened on Saturday, I received an email telling me to come and get it which I did.

Yestereday I visited the Santa Cruz Best Buy in Soquel CA. They are out of stock but expecting 10 units in this week. They no longer take reservations because too many people didn't follow through to come in and buy their reserved unit when it finally arrived - IE a lot of multiple reserving going on apparently. So now it's first come first served there - not even a phone call hold till I get there allowed. Yesterday July 31st, a Friend called the Reno NV Apple Store where they had a 32GB unit or two in stock but like the Best Buy they no longer take reservations and it's first come first served there as well. Called 3 different Apple Stores near me and they now all have both sizes in stock for walk in purchase. So it looks like Apple Stores are the best place to get one now.

Called my local Radio Shack store in Santa Cruz and they have received a total of 2 (TWO) iPhone 4s since they started shipping. Called a San Jose Walmart where he reports he's getting 4-5 units biweekly but does have the 8GB 3GS in stock and is also first come first served only. Another Walmart in Marina reports they got 2 units at launch and none since then. Then called the Del Monte Apple Store only a few miles south of that Walmart in Monterey CA where they report just now having caught up all their reservations and now have both sizes in stock for anyone to walk in and purchase. So the distribution of these phones is incredibly uneven.

So it's a very mixed bag out there. Looks like you need to use your Apple Store app to bulid a list of all the Apple Stores in your area, the Best Buy app and the Walmart app to do the same and call around to AT&T and don't forget Radio Shack to fish for a unit. I got very lucky last week. But I think you will too if you persevere.

Seems like the supply is catching up with demand overall. It also has a lot to do with how many outlets are near you:

Apple Stores

Best Buy

AT&T

Walmart

Radio Shack

All possible places to score sooner than the 3 week FedEx order from Apple Online. \
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

All possible places to score sooner than the 3 week FedEx order from Apple Online. \

My spousal unit says she heard 7-10 business days on our order (I guess I optimistically heard 5-7), but still it's getting into that window and I suppose I'm accustomed to seeing orders filled on the shorter end of the range estimate if not before. Looks like that may not happen with this iPhone order. I'd assume also that ordering direct through AT&T should avoid the spotty supplies of the phone found at the various retailers, but maybe that's wrong too. I can wait, but once you plunk down the bucks, you want the thing in your hand.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by django696 View Post

Where?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

My spousal unit says she heard 7-10 business days on our order (I guess I optimistically heard 5-7), but still it's getting into that window and I suppose I'm accustomed to seeing orders filled on the shorter end of the range estimate if not before. Looks like that may not happen with this iPhone order. I'd assume also that ordering direct through AT&T should avoid the spotty supplies of the phone found at the various retailers, but maybe that's wrong too. I can wait, but once you plunk down the bucks, you want the thing in your hand.

I would avoid ordering from AT&T because they take your money first then make you wait a long time and you can't cancel. If you simply phone around, it's likely you can score an iPhone 4 today at an Apple Store. I would consider a 200 mile round trip to get an iPhone 4 today well worth the drive if that's the closest Apple Store near you.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I would avoid ordering from AT&T because they take your money first then make you wait a long time and you can't cancel. If you simply phone around, it's likely you can score an iPhone 4 today at an Apple Store. I would consider a 200 mile round trip to get an iPhone 4 today well worth the drive if that's the closest Apple Store near you.

For you, maybe. I would never consider this to be a good use of my time and money. To each his own.