Gray Screen, Spinning Dial

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After Logic crashed yesterday, I have not been able to reboot my iMac. I'm running Disk repair an Fix Permissions for the 3rd time as I write this.

I booted into single-user and 2 different times with 2 different results. But since I don't know exactly what I'm doing there, it availed me nothing.

I would be glad to to answer questions from anyone willing to help.

ty,

Kaiser

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fbkaiser View Post

After Logic crashed yesterday, I have not been able to reboot my iMac. I'm running Disk repair an Fix Permissions for the 3rd time as I write this.

I booted into single-user and 2 different times with 2 different results. But since I don't know exactly what I'm doing there, it availed me nothing.

I would be glad to to answer questions from anyone willing to help.

ty,

Kaiser

Grey screen and spinning dial mean that the Unix kernel has started up but that the overlaying OSX cannot start up, as it subsequently ought to. OSX is on your harddisk so it looks like your HD is unreadable = crashed harddisk.

Can you boot up from your system disk and run S.M.A.R.T. Reporter? If you can it may confirm that the HD has crashed.

If the HD has crashed you will obviously need to replace it. I hope you have a good backup data set.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    To see if Unix can fix it boot into Single-User Mode and run /sbin/fsck -fy. Keep running that command until it returns that all is good. To boot back into normal OS X just type: reboot .

Good Luck.