Bold 9700 Antenna Petition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On behalf of all the mistreated Bold 9700 users out there I urge you to sign this petition!

http://www.change.org/petitions/view...d_9700_antenna

And my letter:

Dear Mr. Balsille,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the RIM Blackberry Bold 9700. While I commend RIM's innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of BlackBerry users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon RIM to address this flaw in a transparent manner.

Given the multiple sightings across YouTube, I am concerned that the thousands of purchasers of the Bold 9700 may not have complete information about the quality of the product they have purchased. The burden for consumers caused by this glitch, combined with the confusion over its cause and how it will be fixed, has the potential to undermine the many benefits of this innovative device. To address this concern, I ask that RIM provide Bold 9700 customers with a clearly written explanation of the cause of the reception problem and make a public commitment to remedy it free-of-charge. The solutions offered to date for dealing with the so-called “death grip” malfunction—such as holding the device differently, or buying a cover for it—seem to be insufficient. These proposed solutions would unfairly place the burden on consumers for resolving a problem they were not aware of when they purchased their phones.

I urge RIM to at the very least provide Bold 9700 users with a free case to help alleviate the problem. I further urge RIM to issue a written explanation of the formula it uses to calculate bar strength, so that consumers can once again trust the product that they have invested in.

I look forward to RIM's swift action on this matter, and once again laud RIM for its innovative efforts and service to millions of Americans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Of course "RIM" and "Bold 9700" can be substituted with every other phone maker and its relevant products.

Isn't word processing beautiful?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Blackberry, the Droid X, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, EVO has problems with the antenna too.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Just so everyone gets the joke behind the letter, read this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...4_antenna.html

And please sign the petition, Bold users deserve a free case too!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fordyingseasons View Post

...The solutions offered to date for dealing with the so-called ?death grip? malfunction?such as holding the device differently, or buying a cover for it?seem to be insufficient...

In view of these simple solutions failing, I strongly doubt that you're dealing with a faulty antenna design problem. Rather, this is an expected outcome of the laws of physics. Let's face it -- phones aren't perfect.

Quote:

...I further urge RIM to issue a written explanation of the formula it uses to calculate bar strength, so that consumers can once again trust the product that they have invested in...

I don't think anyone in the industry has ever given such an explanation. True, some have admitted their formula has been wrong for years, and (hopefully) corrected it, but the formula was never published.

I am sorry that I fail to see any humor in you post -- it only adds to the embarrassment. I think it is best for everyone if we accept the solutions that have been given to recent problems, and move on. There are no points to score by trying desperately to poke fun at the competitors. For once at least, they are doin' it right.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

In view of these simple solutions failing, I strongly doubt that you're dealing with a faulty antenna design problem. Rather, this is an expected outcome of the laws of physics. Let's face it -- phones aren't perfect.

I don't think anyone in the industry has ever given such an explanation. True, some have admitted their formula has been wrong for years, and (hopefully) corrected it, but the formula was never published.

I am sorry that I fail to see any humor in you post -- it only adds to the embarrassment. I think it is best for everyone if we accept the solutions that have been given to recent problems, and move on. There are no points to score by trying desperately to poke fun at the competitors. For once at least, they are doin' it right.

The video on the petition site clearly shows there is an antenna design problem, we are ENTITLED to a free case. Sign the petition everyone, 4 down 999,996 more to go! Everyone who signs let us know in the thread!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fordyingseasons View Post

The video on the petition site clearly shows there is an antenna design problem, we are ENTITLED to a free case. Sign the petition everyone, 4 down 999,996 more to go! Everyone who signs let us know in the thread!

I was never fool enough to buy a Blackberry, so... sorry I can't join the petition.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I was never fool enough to buy a Blackberry, so... sorry I can't join the petition.

You don't have to be a blackberry user to sign the petition. That sure didn't stop the Fandroids and us crackberry users from complaining about the iPhone antenna!