iPad for home without 3G

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
So a person could just use the iPad, connect to a wireless router in their home and do email, internet etc via their WIFI?

Does that sound like a plan?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

So a person could just use the iPad, connect to a wireless router in their home and do email, internet etc via their WIFI?

Yup, on the wifi+3g model you can choose to connect via wifi or 3G/edge. If you have both connected wifi will take priority. Don't forget the 3G part requires you to have a microsim (or you can cut an ordinary sim if you are brave enough LOL).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, that sounds like a plan.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Little Red dot is in the list.....great news. Should I wait in queue? After all its the 1st gen iPad. Decision.....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Little Red dot is in the list.....great news. Should I wait in queue? After all its the 1st gen iPad. Decision.....

1st gen or not, the iPads have definitely shown resilience in terms of build quality, stability and so on. So far.

Once it is officially launched in your country, given that you'll have your one (or two if you can extend it) year of LOCAL warranty coverage as well as on-the-spot replacement (should be) for DOA (dead-on-arrival) units... Go for it.

iPads will be stock constrained globally from now until (especially) the end of the year. So, hey, you could conceivably sell it after 6 months before January/February when a new iPad is announced for a reasonable price.

Where is Little Red Dot? Singapore? Belgium? Hong Kong?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

It works for me. I use it at home on my wifi system and have taken it on trips. It's so easy to find free wifi access now days.

Each person has different needs but with the wide spread availability of free wifi, for me the 3G model of the iPad would be a waste of money, both in purchase price and 3G plan.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I have a 16GB Wi-Fi model. So far, it's been wonderful to use on home Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi in hotels and other public areas. Half of the time, I don't even use Wi-Fi, since I am using my iPad predominantly for playing games and reading.

I have an iPhone, so I tend to use the iPhone for 3G data needs. To me, getting a 3G iPad is just not worth the added cost for the hardware and the data plan.