12" PowerBook G4 867 Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've been over at MacRumors for a while, so hopefully you'll welcome me.

I just made the purchase of a 12-inch PowerBook G4, the original 867 Mhz model, for just under $200, which as far as I can tell is a pretty good deal. It's my second computer (primary Mac) and I would likely be using it for netbook style tasks (email, browsing, word processing, casual gaming - think iPad, but cheaper, more retro?).

I've got a couple of questions as to things I can do with the device:

1. Flash - Am I going to be able to watch standard definition videos, like YouTube and various news sites? I don't need HD, but is this computer going to be able to handle even the basic stuff? Can it handle Flash while, say MS Word or Pages is open?

2. RAM - They advertise 640 MB installed, and while I can't check that as the computer hasn't arrived yet, would it be better for me to upgrade that to 1 GB (plus the 128 soldered to the motherboard)?

3. Leopard - It comes with Panther installed and I could either go the Tiger or Leopard route. I'd prefer Leopard, obviously, for the best compatibility and the best choice of available browsers. But from what I understand, this is the earliest supported Mac. Will it be fast enough?

4. Heat/Other Issues - I've heard a few horror stories about the 12-inches being extremely hot, and this being the first version of a PowerBook in this form factor, do I have to be concerned about heat/motherboard problems more so than with later 12-inch models?

Any help/tips/personal experience you could throw at me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

- india349

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I still have one of these, since new. Same amount of RAM. Now retired since buying an iPad.

As is, the old PowerBook will handle "basic stuff" just fine, just don't expect it to be a performance wiz. Mine boots quite slowly, especially since Leopard, perhaps fully two minutes from start to desktop.

Heat has never really been a major issue for me on my PB G4. The fan will kick in when running graphics-intensive applications, like games, for any period of time, but normally it does not run hot.

Personally, I would not sink any more money into such an old Mac than absolutely necessary. A more likely needed investment will be in a new battery, unless you know it's already been replaced on the one you are buying. At that price, I'm guessing not.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I was going to wait and see how Leopard handled itself with only 640 MB of RAM. That's more RAM than the original MacBooks had as default and a little more than the minimum requirements from Apple. I found a 1 GB stick on DMS for $42, so that would probably be what I would get if Leopard was really finnicky.

I don't know about the battery just yet. They advertise it as coming with a power cord, but there's no mention of a battery. If I need one, I found some online for a good price (like $45), but like you said, putting that much into an old Mac probably isn't the best of plans, but battery and RAM are pretty essential things. I doubt I'd spend much more though.

Thanks for the tips!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    No doubt it will come with a battery (they are attached to the door on the bottom) but most likely it will be a battery with five or more years of use, which means it's probably a goner.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Dude, I'm sorry to be a downer, but you're sinking a close to $300 (after you buy the battery) on what is likely a museum exhibit. Why not get a netbook for the same price, and put the Leopard on it (in accordance with the laws of your country, of course)? Or rather, save yourself the pain and go with XP or Ubuntu?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Probably because for $300 you'll end up with a piece of excrement that probably isn't going to perform that much better than the old PowerBook.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Probably because for $300 you'll end up with a piece of excrement that probably isn't going to perform that much better than the old PowerBook.

Dr Millmoss, I assume that india349 posted here with the hope of receiving helpful advice. Do you honestly believe that your post is helping him (and others in his situation)?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

...but you're sinking a close to $300 (after you buy the battery) on what is likely a museum exhibit. Why not get a netbook for the same price, and put the Leopard on it?...

Computers (well, everything, in life, really?) mean different things to different people. I could get a netbook...but I find the resolution to be abysmal, the lack of an optical drive confining, the keyboard to be too small for long-form writing, not to mention, a netbook at sub $300 isn't going to be a very good one.

Also, putting Leopard on a netbook, while possible, isn't going to give me a headache free experience, and I'm looking for a basic couch-surfing device, not, as Dr. Millmoss kindly states, a piece of excrement.

- india349
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by india349 View Post

Computers (well, everything, in life, really?) mean different things to different people. I could get a netbook...but I find the resolution to be abysmal, the lack of an optical drive confining, the keyboard to be too small for long-form writing, not to mention, a netbook at sub $300 isn't going to be a very good one.

Also, putting Leopard on a netbook, while possible, isn't going to give me a headache free experience, and I'm looking for a basic couch-surfing device, not, as Dr. Millmoss kindly states, a piece of excrement.

- india349

Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck.

It was clear to me before.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    My 15" Powerbook G4 867 just died from a hard drive failure after 7 years!. It only had 512 mb and ran 10.5.8.

1. Playback of internet video will be slow/choppy if not impossible.

2. 512mb is not enough for leopard. 1gb is neccessary. I bought used ram and it died.

3. Leopard is G4 867 limit. Doesn't do Snow Leopard.

4. Not sure about heat. But my 15" fan ran loud and frequently when taxed. Like when loading a cd.

I hate to say it, but you bought a lemon. It's not worth putting extra money into it. I had no wifi and the battery is long dead, so you will be likely chained to a desk.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I think calling it a 'lemon' is a bit much, especially since it does have Wi-Fi and I'm certainly upping the RAM if I'm installing Leopard. It's not my primary computer, so as long as it functions as a basic internet/e-mail machine, I'm fine with it.

Thanks for sharing, though

- india349
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by india349 View Post

I think calling it a 'lemon' is a bit much, especially since it does have Wi-Fi and I'm certainly upping the RAM if I'm installing Leopard. It's not my primary computer, so as long as it functions as a basic internet/e-mail machine, I'm fine with it.

Thanks for sharing, though

- india349

Right. I used mine until a few months ago for Keynote presentations, mainly. Not fast, but perfectly workable, portable and durable.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    It'll be slower than the slowest netbook, and will suck out loud at video playback. Should be fine for (non-Flash) internet and email, though.