Robotic Rats

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want one! Think they will make them in different colors though?

<a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/746268.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.msnbc.com/news/746268.asp</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Clever. Instead of making incredibly complex software to guide a robot, use programs already in place: biology.

The rats already know how to walk in all directions, climb, point in various directions (for the cameras) and hold still. They can probably also carry chemical detectors for bombs or drugs and microphones to listen for people calling for help.

I wonder why this hasn't been done with something smarter, like a dog, yet. You can train them better and give them more complex commands. AND they can rescue people on their own!

Plus, they're still animals, so you don't have to worry about them getting blown up.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Rats...were they trained not to start eating trapped or dead victims in a rescue operation?

Sorry, sick sci-fi thought...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    LOL! A real Pikachu!

Sorry... Just a reponse from an otaku.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>Clever. Instead of making incredibly complex software to guide a robot, use programs already in place: biology.

The rats already know how to walk in all directions, climb, point in various directions (for the cameras) and hold still. They can probably also carry chemical detectors for bombs or drugs and microphones to listen for people calling for help.

I wonder why this hasn't been done with something smarter, like a dog, yet. You can train them better and give them more complex commands. AND they can rescue people on their own!

Plus, they're still animals, so you don't have to worry about them getting blown up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rats are intelligent animals, and are small animals at the contrary of dogs. Rats can go nearly everywhere and can pass throught 1,5 inch holes.

If i understand what was saying about this, there is various electrodes, and two of them are in the mustaches. This electrodes control the orientation of the rat, i doubt that it will work with dogs.Dogs are less concerned for their orientation with their mustaches.