Australia's Telstra awards iPhone 4 "Blue Tick" for superior reception

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Australian mobile provider Telstra has awarded iPhone 4, when used with a case, a special "Blue Tick" approval for use in rural areas of poorer service coverage, due to the phone's antenna performance.



In a blog posting titled "tips for great iPhone reception, Telstra says iPhone 4, without the use of any accessories, has been approved for use in metro and major regional coverage areas.



The carrier notes that "to help maximise coverage performance in metro and major regional areas, Telstra recommends that customers team their iPhone 4 with an approved rubberised bumper or case."



The tip adds, "we?ve found that an approved bumper or case can also improve the consistency of data speeds when customers are using a fast network like the Telstra Next G? network. So if frequent mobile internet is important to you, we suggest you grab a bumper or case."



Blue Tick worthy for rural customers, when a case is used



"The great news for our regional and rural customers," Telstra says, "is that an approved rubberised bumper or case can help to maximise the coverage performance of the iPhone 4. In fact, the handheld coverage performance is improved so that it is equivalent to one of our Telstra ?Blue Tick? devices."



The posting explains, "we award our Blue Tick to mobiles that have the best coverage performance and recommend them to customers working or living in regional and rural coverage areas."



Telstra adds that it "uses a two-phase methodology to test the coverage performance of each mobile phone model it offers to customers. The first test is conducted at Telstra?s anechoic chamber in Sydney and examines a mobile?s handheld receiver sensitivity. The second test is conducted out in the field. Testing looks at elements like voice quality and how successfully a handset makes and receives calls at the edge of coverage."







iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow, along with Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    ... of course these declarations of 'no issue here' have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow, along with Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland."



    Personally, I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,185member
    Too bad that some of these new reports couldn't have come out sooner to quell some of the furor. This helps balance the situation and speaks to what Steve J. said at his briefing regarding the 'problems'.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    From what everyone and their dog say Australia's telcos offer the great coverage, very fast and reliable networks. They actually hardly need bumpers.



    Just don't palm the phone for too long, you won't see any problems.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,940member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    ... of course these declarations of 'no issue here' have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow, along with Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland."



    Personally, I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device.



    Anonymous user reports are about as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane and as credible as former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich. Hell, you claim to have three Android phones and two Android tablets and we all know you're lying through your anal cavity.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Anonymous user reports are about as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane and as credible as former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich. Hell, you claim to have three Android phones and two Android tablets and we all know you're lying through your anal cavity.





    Especially when these anonymous reports come from the same sources that already seem to have an axe to grind every time Apple is mentioned...
  • Reply 6 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Anonymous user reports are about as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane and as credible as former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich. Hell, you claim to have three Android phones and two Android tablets and we all know you're lying through your anal cavity.



    Much more telling is your tone reeking of both bitterness and jealousy.



    Android Phones in My Home: DROID, DROID X, and DROID Eris



    Android Tablets in My Home: Archos 5 IT/32gb, and Archos 7 Home Tablet.



    Note: My integrity is always in tact, too bad your ability to respect the posts of others clearly is not.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Personally, I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device.



    Pretty satisfied with mine. The Bumper improves reliability in rural zones, which was the only handicap I found in the past weeks.



    Thanks for asking.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post




    Especially when these anonymous reports come from the same sources that already seem to have an axe to grind every time Apple is mentioned...



    Anything to 'follow the crowd" for some -



    Anyway... I specifically stated that 'I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device", and alluded to absolutely nothing regrading 'anonymous reports' from anyone.



    There's World of Difference
  • Reply 9 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DominoXML View Post


    Pretty satisfied with mine. The Bumper improves reliability in rural zones, which was the only handicap I found in the past weeks.



    Thanks for asking.





    Question
    : Are you currently residing/using your iPhone 4 in Australia?



    I only ask because this article originates directly from Australian mobile provider Telstra, and clearly states that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow"... Hmmm?
  • Reply 10 of 84
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Much more telling is your tone reeking of both bitterness and jealousy.



    Android Phones in My Home: DROID, DROID X, and DROID Eris



    Android Tablets in My Home: Archos 5 IT/32gb, and Archos 7 Home Tablet.



    Note: My integrity is always in tact, too bad your ability to respect the posts of others clearly is not.



    +1 for having the balls to buy all that crap.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Personally, I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device.



    All good here And my iPhone 4 doesn?t even have a case.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post




    Question
    : Are you currently residing/using your iPhone 4 in Australia?



    I only ask because this article originates directly from Australian mobile provider Telstra, and clearly states that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow"... Hmmm?



    No, but I used it in other countries on the list and of course in my home country.

    I think that my experience is valid although I'm no Telstra customer.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


    All good here And my iPhone 4 doesn?t even have a case.



    Just Curious: Where in Australia do you live, and how were you fortunate enough to get the iPhone on Telstra's network a day before its release?
  • Reply 14 of 84
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Much more telling is your tone reeking of both bitterness and jealousy.



    Android Phones in My Home: DROID, DROID X, and DROID Eris



    Android Tablets in My Home: Archos 5 IT/32gb, and Archos 7 Home Tablet.



    Note: My integrity is always in tact, too bad your ability to respect the posts of others clearly is not.



    perhaps you are telling the truth, but lets face it, 9 times out of 10 (or worse) that a commenter makes such a statement in order to bolster his point, it is crap.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Unplanned obsolescence.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Maybe it's some kind of magic.



    They've been out seven hours now.



    Of course your droids would be absolutely useless here, we dumped CDMA years ago.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post




    Question
    : Are you currently residing/using your iPhone 4 in Australia?



    I only ask because this article originates directly from Australian mobile provider Telstra, and clearly states that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow"... Hmmm?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Just Curious: Where in Australia do you live, and how were you fortunate enough to get the iPhone on Telstra's network a day before its release?



    As I work in a phone store in Australia and it's tomorrow now, we got a demo iPhone 4 yesterday, first thing I did after activating it was try the issues.



    Touching the "black strip" did nothing, holding it tightly in both hands made it drop from 5 to 4 bars.



    My mate from the Virgin store brought his demo up to activate it as he had an older version of iTunes, we tried all the touching, poking, prodding and squeezing tests with no bars dropped.



    Now we can reassure customers that a lot of the hot air from windbags like you is rubbish.



    Telstra has also endorsed the iPhone 4, Australia has the population of New York spread across 3 million square miles.



    Today will be a HUGE day in sales.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    ... of course these declarations of 'no issue here' have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow, along with Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland."



    Personally, I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device.



  • Reply 17 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    ... of course these declarations of 'no issue here' have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the, "iPhone 4 launches in Australia tomorrow, along with Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland."



    Personally, I'd rather hear how things are once actual users have had some time with the device.



    Na, it means they are not stupid enough to deliberately find a weak reception area and grip as hard as they can to kill any signal there is. Smart bar-stuards those bloody Aussies
  • Reply 18 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post


    +1 for having the balls to buy all that crap.



  • Reply 19 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    Maybe it's some kind of magic.



    They've been out seven hours now.



    - Of course your droids would be absolutely useless here, we dumped CDMA years ago.



    - Now we can reassure customers that a lot of the hot air from windbags like you is rubbish.



    Note: Blah... Blah.. Blah... Omitted for clarity - Mate



    01 - "Of course your droids would be absolutely useless here, we dumped CDMA years ago."



    Given that I never expressed such a desire, nor was it even a part of this thread's discourse, any point you were attempting to make about using a Droid in Australia is rendered entirely MOOT



    02 - "Now we can reassure customers that a lot of the hot air from windbags like you is rubbish".



    Maybe that's because you're Not In The United States or utilizing AT&T's US Network, resulting in much different carrier/user experience, which doesn't mean that US customer's are incorrect in their 'experiences' just different than those residing in Australia on a completely different network.



    Completely Different Situations - See How That Works?
  • Reply 20 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    First thing I did when I got my hands on one, NO ISSUE.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Na, it means they are not stupid enough to deliberately find a weak reception area and grip as hard as they can to kill any signal there is. Smart bar-stuards those bloody Aussies



Sign In or Register to comment.