<strong>This day finally comes

Tomorrow I will be hosting a lecture.

Topic: 2D Graphic techniques and how to apply the skills to different areas

40+ people will be looking at me.....

I am sweating </strong><hr></blockquote>

Put some pants on.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    It makes no sense what-so-ever to be sweating or even being nervous about it now. Nervousness, stress, fear, and many other feelings are completely unproductive. Just do something fun and don't think about it.

If you know the topic well, you will do just fine. If you don't, I hope you can BS well.

Good luck. I also dread about speaking in front of people but once I do it, it isn't so bad. The fear is usually worse than the actual thing you fear.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Relax Leonis, even if your lecture is totally ****ed it will not change the face of the world. A bad lecture is better than no lecture at all . I am sure you have something to teach to this kids. you are not passing an exam , you are the teacher , they are the students ;They will take what you will give to them.

Just one advice, listen by heart the first sentance of your lecture, the others words will come after automatically.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    Leonis, it's been obvious to me for a while that you have serious self-esteem issues. Fear of being inadequate in front of a group is only a manifestation of your underlying issues.

Try and face these challenges. Be brave.

What's the worst that can happen? You might stutter a bit, tremble and have bad grammer. At worst, you'll be a textbook example of a poor public speaker. That's it. The world will not end. People will not think any less of your intelligence, self-worth or level of dignity. And for those that do, shame on them. Infact, to Hell with them!

You are there to present your information to the best of your ability. That's all the world is asking of you, nothing more.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    Two tips

1) Use the mic. USE THE MIC! People need to hear you. I hate talks where they say "Do you want to use the mic" and the person says "No" and then you can't effing hear them.

2) Don't be afraid to take some time, from time to time, to collect your thoughts. A 10 second pause seems like a freaking eon when you're up there but it's no time at all. If you ever feel like "eff! What the eff was I going to say." Take a moment or two.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mac the forkmac the fork Posts: 722member
    Back from the dead for a moment...

Ride it out. I'm scared shitless by presentations as well, but they end. Someone told me something along the lines of 'being worried shows you care.' I think you do, and you should be respected.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Rule #1: Take... your.... time.

Rule #2: Silence is golden. Take pauses.

Rule #3: Speak out to the audience that might be outside the room. (There is no audience in the screen so don't talk to it, and it's hard to be too loud -- really.)

Rule #4: Stand still. Keep you arms at your sides and your feet firmly planted unless you are using clear, descriptive body language. (Steve jobs even messes this one up. He paces around a bit too much.)

Rule #5: Make eye contact with lots of people. Yes, this actually helps because then your audience isn't anonymous and it helps with Rule #3.

Rule #6: The world will still hurtle through space at over 20,0000 mph before, during and after your talk.

I should mention that I'm an OK group speaker, but it's not in my "nature." It's a persona. You could say I put on a face or that I'm acting. Feel free to think you have a different personality up there. I think that's key. Hey, Steve Jobs is supposed to be boorish off stage, but how could you tell from his keynotes?

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Rule #1: Take... your.... time.

Rule #2: Silence is golden. Take pauses.

Rule #3: Speak out to the audience that might be outside the room. (There is no audience in the screen so don't talk to it, and it's hard to be too loud -- really.)

Rule #4: Stand still. Keep you arms at your sides and your feet firmly planted unless you are using clear, descriptive body language. (Steve jobs even messes this one up. He paces around a bit too much.)

Rule #5: Make eye contact with lots of people. Yes, this actually helps because then your audience isn't anonymous and it helps with Rule #3.

Rule #6: The world will still hurtle through space at over 20,0000 mph before, during and after your talk.

I should mention that I'm an OK group speaker, but it's not in my "nature." It's a persona. You could say I put on a face or that I'm acting. Feel free to think you have a different personality up there. I think that's key. Hey, Steve Jobs is supposed to be boorish off stage, but how could you tell from his keynotes?

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rule #7: PUT SOME GODDAMN PANTS ON!