Alleged next-gen iPod touch part has forward facing camera space

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New photos claimed to be of a front panel for Apple's forthcoming iPod touch upgrade show a spot for a forward-facing camera, providing more evidence that the next-generation media player will support the FaceTime open standard for video chat.



The pictures were sent Thursday to MacRumors, and show a single, centered hole above the screen's display, likely to be used for a camera. The photos allegedly came from an iPhone parts supplier, and are claimed to be of parts from Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPod touch.



The part says "Apple (c) 2010," and also has a production date of April 29, 2010, stamped on the inside.



The photos come a day after illustrations from a case manufacturer showed a camera and flash on the back side of the anticipated iPod touch update. If both of these reports prove accurate, it would mean that the next update to the iPod touch would include two cameras, like the iPhone 4.



Apple planned to build a camera into last year's iPod touch upgrade, but technical issues with bad camera module parts led to the feature being scrapped. It is believed the camera was removed late in the development of the device, as multiple third-party cases were made with camera holes, and space for a camera was discovered inside the final 2009 model after it was disassembled.







The inclusion of a forward-facing camera on the iPod touch would come as no surprise, as Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said his company will ship millions of devices compatible with FaceTime this year alone. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of making FaceTime video chat calls over Wi-Fi.



Apple is expected to introduce its new line of iPods, including an updated iPod touch, at an event in September, as the company does every year.



«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 58
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    The question is will the rear camera be 5mp or the 3.2mp cam of the iPhone 3GS?



    I'm betting on the latter.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 618member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    New photos claimed to be of a front panel for Apple's forthcoming iPod touch upgrade show a spot for a forward-facing camera, providing more evidence that the next-generation media player will support the FaceTime open standard for video chat.



    To me, this is a no-brainer. The next iPod Touch will include a forward-facing camera and FaceTime. And the next iPad the same.



    Does anyone besides me recognize that this is going to revolutionize mobile communications? Does anyone besides me recognize how this is going to hugely add to the value of Apple over the next few years? Apparently not many others, since the price of Apple seems stuck at about $262/share.



    Wow. Just wow.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    If it's true, then it will also have a built-in mic. That will make VoIP so much more useful! Of course, all calls would be on "speakerphone"...
  • Reply 4 of 58
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post


    If it's true, then it will also have a built-in mic. That will make VoIP so much more useful! Of course, all calls would be on "speakerphone"...



    You could plug in headphones.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Next killer app - forward facing camera on ipod.

    This will cut the knees out from under the Cell phone companies.

    This might be a harbinger of a new long term strategy for Apple. Phoneless communications for the masses.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,217member
    Interestingly, the FaceTime feature was recently deemed to be one of the "least interesting" features for iPhone users and the Retina display was supposedly the most interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post


    If it's true, then it will also have a built-in mic. That will make VoIP so much more useful! Of course, all calls would be on "speakerphone"...



    I wonder how many parents will realise that their kids will now have essentially a free videophone in their bedrooms.



    I bet we will hear at least on scary story about Internet predators and young kids after the release and someone, somewhere, is sure to blame it all on Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Let me tell you, I sincerely look forward to a FaceTime enabled iPod Touch. All you'd need at that point is a Virgin Mobile mifi (of if you're lucky enough, one of those new Clearwire iSpots), and you have a prepaid 3G-enabled data-only device capable of video and VoIP chat anywhere you are.



    Man... Who needs an iPhone at that point? Sure, not as slick, but you pay *FAR* less than an iPhone for both hardware and service, you can pick whichever carrier you wish, including Verizon, and with a Google Voice number, simply connect it with any free SIP service out there and enjoy free voice calls, free voicemail and sms, and, of course, free FaceTime with any other iDevice user!



    I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 4 yet for this exact reason. I'd hate to lose my AT&T unlimited plan, but I could simply move to Sprint's Overdrive 4G, pay $15 per month less, and enjoy the WiMax speed when it comes to Los Angeles. Holy crap, my friends, that is awesome!
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post


    You could plug in headphones.



    yea... i guess i didn't make my first post clear. that is what i do now. that is what i am hoping to avoid.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post


    yea... i guess i didn't make my first post clear. that is what i do now. that is what i am hoping to avoid.



    Why don't you just buy and iPhone then?
  • Reply 11 of 58
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Since we're spreading 'speculation', here's a few more:



    Q3 2010 - New Ipod Touch featuring a 3.2mp rear-facing still/video camera, in 32/64/128gb capacities.



    Q3 2010 - New 1.7 inch touch-screen iPod Shuffle in 2/4/8gb capacities.



    Q3 2010 - Revised iPod Nano essentially the same as today's but in 8/16/32gb capacities.



    Q1 2011 - Revised iPhone with a new antenna system and composite back instead of glass.



    Q2 2011 - Revised iPad featuring front-facing web camera, available 128gb capacity (only on 9'7inch), new 7 inch version, and all with 3g.



    We'll See Soon Enough...
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post


    Why don't you just buy and iPhone then?



    because the iPhone requires a expensive 2 year contract. VoIP on my iPod touch is free. :rollseyes:
  • Reply 13 of 58
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post


    Why don't you just buy and iPhone then?



    Apple sells the iPod touch and continues to update it with features such as a camera and mic for a reason. Obviously there's millions of people out there who can't or won't buy an iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post


    because the iPhone requires a expensive 2 year contract. VoIP on my iPod touch is free. :rollseyes:



    Which is exactly why neither Apple nor AT&T are going to allow a front-facing camera on the next generation iPod Touch.



    Check back next month...
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post


    Next killer app - forward facing camera on ipod.

    This will cut the knees out from under the Cell phone companies.

    This might be a harbinger of a new long term strategy for Apple. Phoneless communications for the masses.



    So let me add some fuel to this....

    At&t offered "cheap" 3g plans for the iPad.

    If they can offer the same plans for a 3g-enabled ipod touch, there would be zero need for an actual cell phone and an expensive plan.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post


    To me, this is a no-brainer. The next iPod Touch will include a forward-facing camera and FaceTime. And the next iPad the same.



    Does anyone besides me recognize that this is going to revolutionize mobile communications? Does anyone besides me recognize how this is going to hugely add to the value of Apple over the next few years? Apparently not many others, since the price of Apple seems stuck at about $262/share.



    Wow. Just wow.



    Spoke like a true fanboy!
  • Reply 17 of 58
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post


    Spoke like a true fanboy!



    I agree with him and I'm no fanboy. What is the difference now between an iPhone and iPod touch other than a 3G chip?



    Sprint is said to be developing a case with EVDO for the iPod touch. All you need is Facetime 3G Skype, Fring or the new Vonage/Facebook app and you have an iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    ihxoihxo Posts: 562member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post


    Why don't you just buy and iPhone then?



    Skype VOIP plans are much cheaper
  • Reply 19 of 58
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this camera news is no shocker, it's inevitable - already have the parts, already have the support built into the os....

    Sacto Joe: i wouldn't say it revolutionizes MOBILE communications, since you'll have to be in range of WiFi to use it.

    one comment above guessed at an 128gb touch - not going to happen in september. the iphone and the touch will probably be bumped to a max of 64gb this year.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post


    Apple sells the iPod touch and continues to update it with features such as a camera and mic for a reason. Obviously there's millions of people out there who can't or won't buy an iPhone.



    I'm one of those millions, I refuse to pay the outrageous monthly fees ATT charges for the use of a smart phone. I'm actually waiting for the new touch to buy one regardless of whether it has a front camera or not, something I wont use anyways.
Sign In or Register to comment.