Using itunes as a player and NOT a library!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know there are many threads on this and I have searched this topic many times but none of them answer my individual question.

I lent my friend my external hardrive and he loaded it up with a bunch of music and a bunch of it is bad so I want to sift through it and pick and choose what is worthy of my library and what is not.

Is there anyway that I can listen to the music off of the hardrive without storing it in my actual library? When I select the songs on Finder it just saves them in my itunes library...is it possible to just play them but not have them saved??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laxking77 View Post

I know there are many threads on this and I have searched this topic many times but none of them answer my individual question.

I lent my friend my external hardrive and he loaded it up with a bunch of music and a bunch of it is bad so I want to sift through it and pick and choose what is worthy of my library and what is not.

Is there anyway that I can listen to the music off of the hardrive without storing it in my actual library? When I select the songs on Finder it just saves them in my itunes library...is it possible to just play them but not have them saved??

Are you using OS X or Windows?

If you're using OS X, you have the option of playing the song right in the Finder using the Finder Preview function, or dragging it onto any audio playing app other than iTunes. You could, for instance drag it on to Safari, Firefox or whatever browser you use, or you could play it using the Quicktime Player app. Or you could download a third-party music playing app. Personally, I would just use the Finder preview. You can't play an audio or video file in iTunes without adding it to the iTunes Library.