Repair times for MacPro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Our main machine at the office, a 2008 MacPro, started showing signs of a power supply problem. The primary HD also had been replaced. The front USB ports had always been loose and it would be nice to have them swapped.

What is the normal time for a repair? It will be two weeks tomorrow since we took it to the shop where we bought it (They no longer sell Macs due to some decision earlier this year by Apple Japan).

Two weeks seems like an awful long time. What if this were someone's only computer? We have several machines to do stuff on in the meantime, but sorely miss the MacPro and its large display that is sitting idle like a black hole on one of our desks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Our main machine at the office, a 2008 MacPro, started showing signs of a power supply problem. The primary HD also had been replaced. The front USB ports had always been loose and it would be nice to have them swapped.

What is the normal time for a repair? It will be two weeks tomorrow since we took it to the shop where we bought it (They no longer sell Macs due to some decision earlier this year by Apple Japan).

Two weeks seems like an awful long time. What if this were someone's only computer? We have several machines to do stuff on in the meantime, but sorely miss the MacPro and its large display that is sitting idle like a black hole on one of our desks.

Repair times for Apple Stores are usually within a week or so (max); however, I don't think many people will be able to give you an estimate for a non-Apple repair shop.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Our shop sent the machine to Apple Japan the day we took it in, so they got it either the next day or the day after (we had asked them to hurry). Word finally came yesterday about the status, a full 12 days after Apple received the machine. It will return to us Wednesday, making this a rather long down time for us.

This year, Apple Japan suddenly ended sales through many channels in Japan (electronics shops, etc). I wonder if they subsequently lowered the priority of machines being sent in by these channels (our warranty was through the shop, not with Apple). There are other reasons than this repair, but I am always suspicious of Apple Japan.

Just struck me that that it was taking a rather long time just to check the power supply and a single hard drive. The USB ports would have been swapped for free had we sent it in the first year, but we can live with that ($300 otherwise).

Anyway, now we know what to expect if we ever have to get another machine repaired (all of our current machines were purchased through the local shop).