Apple agrees to replace overheating first-gen iPod nanos in Japan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple announced this week that it will address an issue with overheating first-generation iPod nanos in Japan by replacing the entire device.

The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry claims that the hardware, sold between September 2005 and December 2006, is responsible for about 60 cases of overheating, four of them resulting in minor burns, according to Reuters.

Apple on Tuesday announced on its website in Japan that it would replace the overheating devices, a step beyond the battery replacement program begun by the company in 2008. The company said defective batteries would overheat in "very rare cases."

Last week, Apple was ordered by the trade ministry in Japan to publicize that fix on its website. With this week's announcement, Apple went one step further.

However, METI also publicly stated that it felt it was "truly regrettable" that Apple waited until this week to report about 30 incidents of overheating. An Apple spokesperson said that it has worked closely with MET to make sure customers have the latest information.

The Cupertino, Calif., based company declined to reveal the number of first-generation iPod nanos it sold in Japan. It also would not comment on the dispute with the Japanese government.

A few months ago, the trade ministry had declared the first-generation iPod nano a fire hazard. Last year, similar reports of iPod batteries catching fire gained attention as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Meanwhile reports are coming in of a new craze for rummaging around in old boxes of outdated tech-tat, as ebay prices soar in Japan...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    For some perspective remember that these were released in September 2005 - almost 5 years ago!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    In many parts of Asia, when you buy a product, you expect to keep it and use it for a long time. They are not a 'throwaway' culture like ours.

There should be, however, a reasonable 'statute of limitations' for product use (7 years? 10 years?) and take-back/recycle offer that firms like Apple need to be explicit about, up front.

Lesson for Apple: make products to last a very long time (which they actually do, compared to others in the industry), factor it into the pricing for the product in markets like Japan (which they probably do), or stop selling certain types of products in certain markets (I am venturing a guess that, with the exception of the iPhone, Japan is fast approaching that status for Apple).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced this week that it will address an issue with overheating first-generation iPod nanos in Japan by replacing the entire device.

Where are they going to get all the first gen nanos to replace them with?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

not that many were damaged. finding 34 first gen nanos won't be hard. or they could give them new ones.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    But I thought I was just holding it wrong...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That's what I was thinking. Could Apple replace them with the most recent model?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    They "agreed" to? I read that Japan was forcing them to. That's like agreeing to be arrested lol
  • Reply 9 of 13
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Who supplied Apple with the batteries? Is this another Sony fuckup again, their batteries were shit around 2005/06 blowing laptops up (exaggeration).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    I guess Japan is far less forgiving of manufacturer/supplier misgivings... Consumer's First
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

They "agreed" to? I read that Japan was forcing them to. That's like agreeing to be arrested lol

Japan wanted Apple to put a clear warning out about the overheating risk. This present story is about Apple replacing the defective units, which they were not forced to do. It's called common sense PR.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That's what I was thinking. Could Apple replace them with the most recent model?

Apple probably has a pile of refurbished nanos from every generation it can reach into and pull replacements out of.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In English, <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2099?viewlocale=en_US> says:

"Any iPod nano (1st generation) customers who have experienced their battery overheating or have concerns about the battery should contact AppleCare for a battery replacement."