Converting MIDI files for use as ringtones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have some MIDI files I'd like to convert for use as iPhone ringtones. MIDI used to be supported by iTunes, so these conversions used to be simple. Apparently the current version of Quicktime doesn't support MIDI. Is there another way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I have some MIDI files I'd like to convert for use as iPhone ringtones. MIDI used to be supported by iTunes, so these conversions used to be simple. Apparently the current version of Quicktime doesn't support MIDI. Is there another way?

Yes. Download Quicktime 7 here. Try to forget you ever encountered Quicktime X. Pray Apple returns some functionality to same before they cut off your options.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes. Download Quicktime 7 here. Try to forget you ever encountered Quicktime X. Pray Apple returns some functionality to same before they cut off your options.

Exactly and you can use RCDefaults so that all movie file types open by default in Quicktime 7 so you don't have to use 'open with...' all the time.

I sort of like the Quicktime X UI but it's no big deal and losing the Quicktime Pro functions really annoys me. I really don't see how they couldn't have managed to get some things in there, which suggests they might not go back in. That concerns me as I use Quicktime Pro all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks, after some puzzling over this, I finally figured out the QT7 route. If you double-click on a MIDI file, OSX actually prompts you to download it. Unfortunately the QT7 version downloaded is non-pro, so it does not allow exporting. But what it does do is restore MIDI support to iTunes 9. Then I was able to go the circuitous convert-delete-change file extension and reinstall route that I've seen described elsewhere. Ugly. Maybe someone has created a script for this?