Time machine / Time capsule

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
AHHHH!

So I had a complete backup on my time capsule. I reformatted my hard drive. I don't want to reinstall everything, just select apps.

I have mounted the backup to my desktop. When I copy files over from the backup it asks for all the keys again. I email some of the companies: i.e. splashID and they sent me a key. The problem is with apple software. I have iwork 08. it installs the demo which I liked and went on later to purchase. I entered the key but it states that some of the files are missing. the same thing is happening with final cut studio. I don't even have the keys anymore.

Lastly, I tried to install the original OS which was 10.4 no dice, and those disks had the ilife suite. so I have 10.6 with no ilife.

I will take any suggestions.

-John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    A full automatic restore from a default Time Machine backup will include authorization keys.

If you're just doing a drag-and-drop restore, you'll need to figure out where those keys are and make sure those files are copied back to the proper location as well.

You'd be much better off just doing a normal (full) restore from the time machine backup... then delete the stuff you no longer want. Without knowing what the key-codes are, that seems to be your best option.