Ejecting in Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:

More reliable disk eject.

Snow Leopard improves the reliability of ejecting discs and external drives. Sometimes when an application or process is using the files on a drive, Mac OS X prevents you from ejecting it, but you don?t always know why. In Snow Leopard, you?ll get fewer of those errors and when you do get them, you?ll see exactly which application is using the drive, so you can quit it and eject the drive properly.

So from Apple's website it claims that Snow Leopard has a smart eject feature but I have never experienced the above situation. Is there an option I need to turn or something?

They should should also adopt this feature for deleting items that cannot be deleted because the file is being used by an application that is still in use. I do not want to have to reset my computer just to delete a file after quitting all applications!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

So from Apple's website it claims that Snow Leopard has a smart eject feature but I have never experienced the above situation. Is there an option I need to turn or something?

They should should also adopt this feature for deleting items that cannot be deleted because the file is being used by an application that is still in use. I do not want to have to reset my computer just to delete a file after quitting all applications!

Try this: What's Keeping Me - 2.2 -

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/34569

Product Description:

Did you ever have the problem where you can't empty the Trash or eject a disk because something is preventing you? Usually the reason is because some application has a file open, and thus you can't get rid of the disk or trash the file. That's why we made What's Keeping Me! What's Keeping Me will identify the application that is preventing you from accomplishing your task. You can then use What's Keeping Me to quit, relaunch, or kill the problem application so you can get on with your business.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

If you've never had an issue ejecting a drive then the feature is working. I've personally had a message come up telling me which application was using a file, which allowed me to close the file and eject the drive. I can't believe it took 10 years to add that feature but better late than never.

Quote:

If you choose secure empty trash, it empties it no matter what is using it but that's not so good if the files are large in which case the above mentioned app should do the trick.