Apple testing iOS 4.1 alongside next-gen iPod touch, iPad and 'unknown' product

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is internally testing the first material update to its iOS 4.0 mobile operating system against a handful of new devices, including next-generation iPod touches, an iPad revision, and an "unknown" product, AppleInsider has discovered.

According to people familiar with the matter, the latest beta of iOS 4.1, due to ship in the coming weeks, includes three new "Configuration Descriptors" within its USB configuration files -- all of which pertain to devices that list "Apple, Inc." as their "manufacturer" -- as can be seen in the screenshot below.

The first product, a fourth-generation iPod touch, is referenced within the code as "iPod 4,1." That particular identifier indicates the device will be the first iteration of a fourth-generation device, rather than a revision to the touch's existing design, which would have been denoted as an "iPod 3,2."

For Apple, this represents the fourth consecutive year in which the company will deliver a significant internal or external design change to its flagship iPod, preserving a tradition that has seen the media player's adopt the architecture of iPhones that hit the market a few months earlier.

As such, this year's iPod touch family calls for models akin to a slimmer iPhone 4, equipped with dual cameras, FaceTime support, Apple's custom A4 processor, and high resolution Retina Display. For reference, the first three generations of the iPod touch were identified as "iPod 1,1," "iPod 2,1" and "iPod 3,1," respectively.

The second unreleased product referenced in the USB configuration files is "iProd 2,1." All indications are that this device represents a material update to the company's iPad, as the inaugural version of the device released this past April was similarly listed in configuration files as "iProd 1,1" prior to its announcement.

Finally, and most intriguing, is a previously undiscovered mention of a mysterious device listed only as "unknownHardware." Although the configuration files tag this device with a unique Apple product ID of 20547, it's textual descriptor is similarly listed as "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device."

While purely speculative at this time, it's possible that those place holders are related to an Apple TV reincarnation -- rumored to be dubbed iTV -- that will reportedly jettison its existing Mac OS X-based software platform for one built around iOS 4.0 and capable of running applications found on the App Store.

Apple is widely expected to hold its annual music and media event next month, as it has done for the past several years, ushering in the fourth-generation iPod touches and potentially the much rumored Apple TV makeover.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    Have my visa card in hand.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is widely expected to hold its annual music and media event next month, as it has don't for the past several years, ushering in the fourth-generation iPod touches and potentially the much rumored Apple TV makeover.

As I said before am looking forward to this event. Just need to secure a campus job so I have $.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    What has 2 thumbs and is ready for the new AppleTV? This guy!
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Those smart scienticians are working their magic down at the Apple laboratories.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    good, bring a new iDevice on. Yet another iOS iDevice...

PS: just noticed, my 69th post
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Quote:

Finally, and most intriguing, is a previously undiscovered mention of a mysterious device listed only as "unknownHardware." Although the configuration files tag this device with a unique Apple product ID of 20547, it's textual descriptor is similarly listed as "Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device."

I did a quick Google search on this number and came up with a reference from March, 2009:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ew-ipod-touch/

So, is it possible this device has been in testing for over a year and probably longer?

Quote:

<key>unknownHardware</key>

<dict>

<key>ConfigurationDescriptors</key>

<string>unknownHardware</string>

<key>deviceID</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>manufacturerString</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>productID</key>

<integer>20547</integer>

<key>productString</key>

<string>Unknown- Add device descriptor info for this device</string>

<key>vendorID</key>

<integer>1452</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

• Reply 7 of 66
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    What is an iProd ???
  • Reply 8 of 66
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I can see that cable TV will experience the same fate as landline phone. Everyone still has it, but many people use their mobile now. I think there is a market for in iDevice based TV. This will then go the way of the mobile phones, and in 5 years people find this much more attractive and versatile than cable TV. Let's just hope the price difference is not the same as between landline and mobile phones!
  • Reply 9 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    I am so ready for a TV change. I love my TiVos, but recently, Time Warner, my cable provider is blocking all programs from being copied to another device. I have one TiVo upstairs and one down. I used to be able to transfer recorded shows between them using the TiVo Wi-Fi dongles I bought for them. Now I cannot. Not TiVo's fault, but is Time Warner trying to boost sales of their own DVR solution by blocking features from the competition. I so want to teach them a lesson by dropping them. If the iTV doesn't feature a DVR function, I hope that it will at least play nice with my TiVos. Here's hoping iTV with internet streaming will soon be as reliable and fast as cable so I can make the switch.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What is an iProd ???

Pretty much everything that's not a Mac is identified as an iProd (iPod, iPad, iPhone).
  • Reply 11 of 66
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Quote:

What is an iProd ???

Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

What is an iProd ???

It's a dummy name so that Apple doesn't reveal the nature of an unreleased new concept.

They probably used the same designation for the iPad while the device was in the design stages.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmamboatl View Post

I did a quick Google search on this number and came up with a reference from March, 2009:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...ew-ipod-touch/

So, is it possible this device has been in testing for over a year and probably longer?

If it's an entirely new device, the product development cycle is probably a couple of years.

Heck, even a minor revision probably takes over a year anyhow. Multi-year product roadmaps are quite common in the consumer electronics industry. iPhone 5 prototypes probably powered on in a lab in Cupertino before the iPhone 4 shipped. Once a device reaches PVT/ramp phase, some of the engineering teams moves to the next-generation design.

Remember, Steve stated during the iPhone 4 launch that it took eighteen months for the engineers to deliver the handset, a major revision to an existing product.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Pretty much everything that's not a Mac is identified as an iProd (iPod, iPad, iPhone).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Portable device for stunning Trolls and other Apple haters with an electric shock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It's a dummy name so that Apple doesn't reveal the nature of an unreleased new concept.

They probably used the same designation for the iPad while the device was in the design stages.

Kinda like short for "iProduct" then??
  • Reply 15 of 66
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Of all the shit that engineers can do, they can't mask the model number so that devices can't sniffed out?

If they use the "iPod 1,1," "iPod 2,1" and "iPod 3,1," formats, why not just turn them into "iPod x,y," "iPad x,y" and "iProd x,y," so that no one can even deduce that there's a newer model of a current product? Claiming that we should know that Apple is always working on a newer model of something is not a good argument. If that were the case, they'd answer, "Yes, we are working on a new iPad" when asked, but they always respond No Comment. So these designators are virtually proof that something newer indeed exists.

Just sayin'...people commit suicide to protect Apple secrets, yet they allow these little tidbits to leak out.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    pt109pt109 Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

good, bring a new iDevice on. Yet another iOS iDevice...

I see these memes running around:

1) The new device is related to Apple TV

2) The new device runs iOS

3) The new device will sell for under 100 US$

4) The next Apple TV will include an app store and games

5) The next Apple TV will include Facetime

Some idle speculation:

A) The new device is a cheap iPod Touch-like device suitable as a remote, a game controller and a Facetime dialer. It will run iOS and all of its functions (apps) will be runnable on existing Touch, iPhone and iPad devices. It will sell for 99 bucks.

B) The next Apple TV is NOT the mystery device. It will remain OSX based and not be much cheaper than now. But, it will include an iSight so your living room TV can do Facetime, and enough cpu/gpu power to beat out the dying older generation of game console.

The whole package is going to look alot more like an xbox or ps3 with controller and internet connections. I've been thinking that even the geniuses at Apple can't fight the 6-foot interface challenge: the LR tv needs 2 devices: one for the hand and one to support the connections.

...still no blu ray...
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I can see that cable TV will experience the same fate as landline phone. Everyone still has it, but many people use their mobile now. I think there is a market for in iDevice based TV. This will then go the way of the mobile phones, and in 5 years people find this much more attractive and versatile than cable TV. Let's just hope the price difference is not the same as between landline and mobile phones!

The availability of TV content on Netflix discs, Netflix Watch Instantly, Amazon VOD, network web sites, iOS apps, etc., is making cable optional for people who are willing to trade off immediate availability of content on their big TV for some cost savings for cutting back or dropping their cable.

I don't think major IT changes over the next 5 years will accelerate that very much. Changes in the availability of content could change that a LOT, but I don't see the stakeholders opening up the availability of content in such a way that drastically reduces their revenue streams.

Comcast/NBCU has a huge stake because they're a big player in both cable networks and local cable/broadband subscriptions, and I just don't see them contributing all of their current content to an internet-delivered, subscription-based service unless it replaces the revenue from reduced ad rates and fewer cable subscribers.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I want one! I'm a troll!
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

Kinda like short for "iProduct" then??

It seems likely.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Of all the shit that engineers can do, they can't mask the model number so that devices can't sniffed out?

If they use the "iPod 1,1," "iPod 2,1" and "iPod 3,1," formats, why not just turn them into "iPod x,y," "iPad x,y" and "iProd x,y," so that no one can even deduce that there's a newer model of a current product? Claiming that we should know that Apple is always working on a newer model of something is not a good argument. If that were the case, they'd answer, "Yes, we are working on a new iPad" when asked, but they always respond No Comment. So these designators are virtually proof that something newer indeed exists.

Just sayin'...people commit suicide to protect Apple secrets, yet they allow these little tidbits to leak out.

What's the point?

People know that Apple is working on next-generation designs for these product lines. These designations reveal nothing beyond the fact that Apple is working on stuff that hasn't been released. They don't deny the fact that they're working on new things. From a development perspective, it is easier to assign the bland numbering scheme.

Frankly, I think you're looking too deeply into this.