Apple expected to boost iTunes song samples to 60 seconds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    30 seconds seemed ample time to decide to me.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Thinking it over, what I'd really like is for them to let me hear the whole song. They can give it to me in really low quality, something not worth pirating, like 32kbps mono, the equivalent of old AM radio, but give me the whole thing so I can make a good, informed decision. Honestly, anyone who wants to pirate can find any song on a P2P, torrent or Usenet newsgroup anyway. Why is it so important to limit the duration of a stream that I don't think can be captured anyway? (Kludgey techniques like Audio Hijack notwithstanding.)
  • Reply 23 of 40
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Thanks?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why is it so important to limit the duration of a stream that I don't think can be captured anyway? (Kludgey techniques like Audio Hijack notwithstanding.)

I think it has to do with the studios saying "no". I think it would take an extra licence to play a full song or something like that, as it would not be covered by fair use. At that point you become kind of like Lala or Last.FM and I think you would have to pay some royalties.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

30 seconds seemed ample time to decide to me.

I thought so. That would have been the very last thing I?d change about iTunes and the ITS, but I guess if a new contract allows why not add it, though I personally question this rumour as it seems quite for a sample.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    It'd be nice if it played the chorus. At least for popular songs.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Good thing they don't intro Metallica songs. Those are easily two minute intros at times.

Do people listen to Metallica anymore?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

Good point.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    And, that's it, folks. End of keynote.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

I?m surprised that they don?t already setup the songs to start the stream from the ?best? part of the song that is likely to sell it, either by a manually set timecode or an algorithm that determines the chorus by the tempo or a repetition in the song or some such thing.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Thinking it over, what I'd really like is for them to let me hear the whole song. They can give it to me in really low quality, something not worth pirating, like 32kbps mono, the equivalent of old AM radio, but give me the whole thing so I can make a good, informed decision. Honestly, anyone who wants to pirate can find any song on a P2P, torrent or Usenet newsgroup anyway. Why is it so important to limit the duration of a stream that I don't think can be captured anyway? (Kludgey techniques like Audio Hijack notwithstanding.)

That's actually a really good idea. Doesn't stand a chance though, since the music labels don't seem to be fans of really good ideas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do people listen to Metallica anymore?

After listening to them too loudly as a kid, I can't listen to anything anymore......

What? What?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Apple is more into LiquidMetallica now anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Please also remove the "album only" default for tracks longer than 10 minutes.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have no problem with the current 30-sec song samples. It is the TV show samples that don't really work: 30 sec is not enough to get a feel for the episode, and sometimes it is just the same 30-sec sample of the opening credits for every episode. Ideally the TV studios should provide trailers, made from the TV ads for the episode.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Well, it is about time!
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Apple is more into LiquidMetallica now anyway.

NICE.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So tracks under a minute are free?

Seriously, as someone who buys a lot of arty albums with "intro" songs and "in-between tracks" of 40 seconds to a minute 20, it's kind of a drag to pay the same price for that as one does for a regular song. It would be nice to get them free.

musicians got paid by the song - not the minute??
  • Reply 37 of 40
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Seriously, as someone who buys a lot of arty albums with "intro" songs and "in-between tracks" of 40 seconds to a minute 20, it's kind of a drag to pay the same price for that as one does for a regular song. It would be nice to get them free.

As was mentioned before everyone is paid by the song not the time length. Your free logic is flawed, if songs under a minute were free why would anyone write or produce them?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

I have to agree with the others. Any customer who wants an intro track is likely someone who is willing to pay more. I don?t see their incentive to lower these prices. The same goes for anyone who wants to buy a $30 import CD (that seems to be the average current price) when you can get that same digital data online for free.

I have to wonder, why aren?t you just buying the digital album at a discounted price over the á la carte price, or buy the CD at a potentially lower price from some online warehouse store?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Finally. They should also sample the middle of the song, not the beginning. There've been so many times when I couldn't tell what a song was because it started at the very beginning of a very long intro and the sample would end right after the very first few notes of the meat of the music.

True. About freaking time! The chorus is usually missing or songs have a long intro.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    LaLa.com used to let you listen to a whole song one time. Then if you wanted to listen to it online it was 10 cents to listen as many times as you wanted, or 89 cents to $1.29 to download the song to your computer. Then Apple bought them. Now they're closed. I discovered so much music this way by being able to listen to a song all the way through one time. Sometimes I would spend hours going from one genre to another just following the "related" links that LaLa offered, or by following people with similar listening patterns to see what they listened to.

I was hoping Apple would offer something like that now since they bought LaLa but it sounds like that's a never, or long way down the road. Having 60 seconds is better than 30 though.