iTunes/iPhone Help Please

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
iTunes was running pretty dog slow and so I decided to delete all the music/files associated with iTunes on my laptop. Well now when I try to transfer music to my Iphone, I am getting the following error:

Quote:

The iPhone "my iPhone is synched with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?

An iPhone can be synched with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library"

Could someone with more knowledge on this topic please provide me with some feedback? Does this mean everything will be erased? Apps, music, contacts, etc will be erased or just music, videos or what? Thanks to anyone in advance who could give me some information!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

iTunes was running pretty dog slow and so I decided to delete all the music/files associated with iTunes on my laptop. Well now when I try to transfer music to my Iphone, I am getting the following error:

Could someone with more knowledge on this topic please provide me with some feedback? Does this mean everything will be erased? Apps, music, contacts, etc will be erased or just music, videos or what? Thanks to anyone in advance who could give me some information!

If you've erased everything including the library files on your laptop, then yes, once you sync again, everything will be erased. Dumb move.

What you could have done is delete just the media files (apps, music and movies) and left everything else including library files intact. But then you can't access those media files from the iPhone ever again, without help of a usually difficult to use third-party application.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you've erased everything including the library files on your laptop, then yes, once you sync again, everything will be erased. Dumb move.

What you could have done is delete just the media files (apps, music and movies) and left everything else including library files intact. But then you can't access those media files from the iPhone ever again, without help of a usually difficult to use third-party application.

Yeah I agree it was a dumb move on my part. Anything I can do to maintain all the data on my iPhone will at least be synched back to my computer (if not through iTunes, then through third party?) so I will not have to rebuild completely from scratch?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Yeah I agree it was a dumb move on my part. Anything I can do to maintain all the data on my iPhone will at least be synched back to my computer (if not through iTunes, then through third party?) so I will not have to rebuild completely from scratch?

No. Either SSH into it and pull all the files off manually or deal with never syncing again/losing everything once you sync.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Either SSH into it and pull all the files off manually or deal with never syncing again/losing everything once you sync.

And how would I SSH into it? I know it involves the terminal and I am not very good at that lol