Why is the 16GB iPad $620 on Amazon???

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I find this price confusing. Surely tax isn't "that" much?

I buying an iPad for my Ameican business partner as a present. When I go to checkout that's the price they want to charge me to ship an iPad from Amazon.com to PA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That's the Amazon price. You don't like it, you don't buy it.

Just buy it from Apple, for crying out loud.

Also, your signature is misguided. There will be no "hardware fix". Next hardware change in June 2011.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the Amazon price. You don't like it, you don't buy it.

Just buy it from Apple, for crying out loud.

Also, your signature is misguided. There will be no "hardware fix". Next hardware change in June 2011.

You're an idiot. My username is Ireland.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I'll order it for you ... I just need you to send a check to my Nigerian bank account...

hmm... I see it at 589 USD + 20 shipping on Amazon

Could your location be giving you a bad deal for Amazon as well as at Apple ?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The Amazon partner selling 16GB WiFi iPads for $589.99 is called "Mobileshark." I think that should answer your question.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The Amazon partner selling 16GB WiFi iPads for $589.99 is called "Mobileshark." I think that should answer your question.

Actually it turns out that was Apple's own Amazon-store price. I couldn't order it from Apple.com because you can't change the CC billing country to Ireland.

I found another store on Amazon with a good reputation score for a much easier to swallow price. Thanks for your help guys.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're an idiot. My username is Ireland.

Thanks for the insult, your post has been reported.

I don't give a frick what your username is. You said PA. That's the price I'm seeing from within the U.S. as well. That's the price on Amazon. There's nothing to be done about it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Actually it turns out that was Apple's own Amazon-store price. I couldn't order it from Apple.com because you can't change the CC billing country to Ireland.

I found another store on Amazon with a good reputation score for a much easier to swallow price. Thanks for your help guys.

Okay, but I've never seen Apple selling directly through Amazon. Does this happen outside the US?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Okay, but I've never seen Apple selling directly through Amazon. Does this happen outside the US?

None of the iPad's on Amazon are sold by Apple. They're all 3rd party sellers. I'm not sure where Ireland got the idea that Apple's selling it there or that they'd have a different price for their products sold on Amazon as opposed to their own site.

With the shipping times for iPads on Apple's site being pretty much immediate I guess the gougers on Amazon are just taking advantage of people in Ireland's situation (buying from one country for someone in another or some other less than straightforward transaction).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I didn't think so either, but I was allowing the possibility that something might be going on outside the U.S. market that I'd never heard about.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

By the way guys, that's not true. By the product when you click into it it lists the seller, these are sold by Apple. Though they are perhaps routed through Amazon's service and warehouses, which is why they arrive with Amazon's external brown box packaging.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

By the way guys, that's not true. By the product when you click into it it lists the seller, these are sold by Apple. Though they are perhaps routed through Amazon's service and warehouses, which is why they arrive with Amazon's external brown box packaging.

I have never seen Apple selling through Amazon in the U.S., not once, not ever. The seller is listed on the product page and requires no click-through to discover. A lot of these sellers drop-ship directly from distributors but this does not change who is the retailer. If this is coming from the U.S. Amazon store, then I'd be interested in a direct link to the product, because all your picture shows is that the product is made by Apple. Which I think we already know.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

That just indicates that Apple makes it; not that they are selling it there Ireland.

Take a look at the page for the Magic Mouse. It says quite clearly:

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Apple does *not* sell product on Amazon. All of their products sold their are via 3rd parties/resellers.