Which iPod touch to go with?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello, Guys

I was planning to just buy a 8GB iPod Touch 4 when it came out. But after today's event, Jobs shows the HD recording, A4 chip and amazing display, I am thinking maybe I should go with 32GB.

So please provide some suggestion. Especially if you can, please give some statistic on how many 720p video in MOV format, music, photo and apps 8GB can really take. Plus it will also carry my email, contact and calendar things.

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Emails, contacts and calendar will generally use very little space, especially if you use IMAP email.

Video is reported to be around 80MB/minute so an hour of footage takes up just under 5GB. If you want to use this for video recording then you'd be better going for the 32GB.

Music size depends on your library and compression but you will get around 12-24 hours of music per GB.

I personally wouldn't shoot that much video on it, probably 30-60 minutes (5GB tops), I'd store 4GB of music on it and about 2GB of apps and maybe 1GB of pictures. That would fit onto the 16GB model.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally wouldn't shoot that much video on it, probably 30-60 minutes (5GB tops), I'd store 4GB of music on it and about 2GB of apps and maybe 1GB of pictures. That would fit onto the 16GB model.

For a Global Moderator, I'd expect you to know that there is no 16GB model.

After having the 32GB Touch3 and filling it up with apps, grudgingly selecting a fraction of my music library, and finally deleting all my videos for space, I'm going to go for the 64 this time.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Thanks guys.

Do u know how much space will be base iOS take?

I would not use it to shoot a lot of videos. Just considering the special case that I will record a lot.

Quote:

After having the 32GB Touch3 and filling it up with apps, grudgingly selecting a fraction of my music library, and finally deleting all my videos for space, I'm going to go for the 64 this time.

Would you mind giving some kinda summary of the quota of your each category, such as space used for apps, music, photo and videos.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chinese_ys View Post

Would you mind giving some kinda summary of the quota of your each category, such as space used for apps, music, photo and videos.

Depends on the app.

Depends on the song.

Depends on the photo.

Depends on the video.

It's impossible to say what anything holds. Just use Apple's numbers (per codec+length) and be done with it.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Thanks for pointing that out...

Here is my basic estimation is:

1G for Videos;

2G for PodCast;

2G for Music

1G for Photos

Rest for base iOS and apps.

So do u think that can fit fine onto 8G model or in another way how much space base iOS needs and how many apps can 1G take?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    My numbers are currently as follows:

Definitely going for the 64.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Thanks for all your suggestion.

I am going with 32GB model to meet my need.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Macmall got it for $288.99 with FREE UPS Ground Shipping! I got mine!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

My numbers are currently as follows:

Definitely going for the 64.

Damn! I didn't think about that time to change my order to 64GB. MacMall got it $383.99
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xverse10 View Post

Damn! I didn't think about that time to change my order to 64GB. MacMall got it $383.99

Notice, I don't have ANY videos on my iPod Touch. I had to remove them to make room for apps. Actually, I should reorganize things and put more music and remove about half the apps. But I have 100GB of music and another 50GB of videos on my Mac, so even if I get rid of half the apps, I will still have to be VERY selective. I'd rather be able to just throw everything in there and find it when I need it.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    FWIW, this is my iPod Classic:

• Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

For a Global Moderator, I'd expect you to know that there is no 16GB model.

Not sure why you'd expect that but yeah I was thinking about the iPhone. In that case, I would have said the 32GB one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

I'd rather be able to just throw everything in there and find it when I need it.

How much of the content on your iPod do you consume over what period? How many movies do you watch from the iPod in say a month, how much music do you listen to, how many photos do you look at?

I used to sync TV shows to my iPhone but I found that I preferred watching them on a big screen. I use it for music but still, the majority of my listening is while working using my desktop. I almost never look at photos on the iPhone.

A more important factor for storage requirements is probably media consumption habits rather than how much media you have.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

How much of the content on your iPod do you consume over what period? How many movies do you watch from the iPod in say a month, how much music do you listen to, how many photos do you look at?

I like having all of my photos available, and preferably, all of my songs. My photos are precious to me, so I have them backed up in several places, my iPods being two.

For music, it's not about how much I can listen to in a day. It's what I'm in the mood for when my mood changes after I'm already out of the house. I want to be able to listen to what I want to listen to. If I suddenly meet a girl named Gloria, for instance, I might suddenly want to hear Hendrix' version of the Van Morrison classic, even if I left the house in the mood for LCD Soundsystem. Then suddenly I mellow out and want to hear Nick Drake. I want to have that freedom. That's why I live by my Classic.

I deleted all the videos because they just don't mean as much to me. Next to go would be apps. I really don't need tens of gigabytes of games that look cool but in the end I don't really like to play.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

I like having all of my photos available, and preferably, all of my songs. My photos are precious to me, so I have them backed up in several places, my iPods being two.

Photos shouldn't use as much space as they do on the iPod but Apple seem to think syncing uncompressed images is the right thing to do. You should fit 10,000 images in around 2GB of space. The Apple way, it's more like 3,000.

Quote:

For music, it's not about how much I can listen to in a day. It's what I'm in the mood for when my mood changes after I'm already out of the house. I want to be able to listen to what I want to listen to. If I suddenly meet a girl named Gloria, for instance, I might suddenly want to hear Hendrix' version of the Van Morrison classic, even if I left the house in the mood for LCD Soundsystem. Then suddenly I mellow out and want to hear Nick Drake. I want to have that freedom. That's why I live by my Classic.

Wouldn't it be better using a service like Spotify for that level of choice? That way if you instead met a girl called Mandy and you only have songs about Gloria because you're not into Barry Manilow, you can still impress her. Or she might assume you're gay and walk away but you at least have the option to find out. The iPod Classic has no internal speaker for music so you have to give her your used headphones too.

8GB gives you room for about 1500 songs depending on how they are compressed. It's not a huge amount but it's a decent selection - it's like carrying 100-150 albums. Once you get rid of the songs on the albums that are no good (usually about 2/3 of them) you get 300-450 albums. That seems like enough to have any any given time.

If you have 10x that amount, surely they can't all be tracks or albums you've listened to. It would take about 4 months playing the collection non-stop every day to listen to every track.

If you were to switch to an iPod Touch, what would you say is the minimum capacity you'd be content with? Toshiba announced 128GB NAND Flash recently on 32nm and they are ramping up 24nm by the end of this year so next year, there could be a 128-160GB iPod Touch.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Photos shouldn't use as much space as they do on the iPod but Apple seem to think syncing uncompressed images is the right thing to do. You should fit 10,000 images in around 2GB of space. The Apple way, it's more like 3,000.

Apple doesn't sync uncompressed images, lol. You mean un-resized images? Well, you need them bigger than the screen in case you want to zoom in on a detail, or you may want them original size for backup purposes.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be better using a service like Spotify for that level of choice?

It would be if I could.
    Quote:

That way if you instead met a girl called Mandy and you only have songs about Gloria because you're not into Barry Manilow, you can still impress her.

It's not about impressing her. I would play it for myself because I'm in the mood for it.
    Quote:

Or she might assume you're gay and walk away but you at least have the option to find out.

LOL

Quote:

8GB gives you room for about 1500 songs depending on how they are compressed. It's not a huge amount but it's a decent selection - it's like carrying 100-150 albums. Once you get rid of the songs on the albums that are no good (usually about 2/3 of them) you get 300-450 albums. That seems like enough to have any any given time.

No. I'm the type of person who listens to albums the whole way through. I like "whole album" experience. For my favorite artists, I even have all the singles because I want the b-sides (though sadly fewer and fewer artists are recording non-album b-sides any more).

Quote:

If you have 10x that amount, surely they can't all be tracks or albums you've listened to. It would take about 4 months playing the collection non-stop every day to listen to every track.

They are all tracks or albums I have listened to, and I might want to listen to again. Most of my music is ripped from CDs, which I bought. I've listened to every CD at least once all the way through, obviously. But also, I like being able to put the iPod on shuffle without hearing all the same tired tracks I've heard dozens of times. I like to be surprised.

Quote:

If you were to switch to an iPod Touch, what would you say is the minimum capacity you'd be content with? Toshiba announced 128GB NAND Flash recently on 32nm and they are ramping up 24nm by the end of this year so next year, there could be a 128-160GB iPod Touch.

Presumably by this time next year I'll have 150MB of music, all encoded at 128k aac. My Classic already doesn't have enough capacity to put all my music videos and the few movies and TV shows I like. To replace my Classic completely for the foreseeable future, I'd need a Touch with at least 200MB.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Apple doesn't sync uncompressed images, lol. You mean un-resized images?

No they used to sync uncompressed but it looks like they might have updated it with the new itunes. I tried syncing 300MB of pictures and at the start of the sync, itunes showed that it would use over 4.5GB of space on my iPhone (which it would have done before) and stayed like this during the sync but when it finished, the bar dropped down to 1.2GB.

They used the ithmb file format:

http://dotwhat.net/ithmb/9058/

"Files with the extension .ITHMB are media files utilised by the 'Apple iPOD'. .ITHMB files are most commonly picture files in a thumbnail format specific to the iPOD and they can be very difficult to open within an alternative operating systems.

.ITHMB picture files are 16-bit uncompressed raw picture files that tend to be very large in size. The reason for the uncompressed nature of the .ITHMB picture files is thought to be due to the lack of processing power available to the iPOD that would be required to decompress archived picture files and the extra power consumption needed for the process that would have drained users batteries faster."

They seem to be using high quality .jpg now instead for the majority of the content, which can still waste some space compared to already compressed images but much better than before. Ideally, they should only re-compress an image during sync if compression is going to save space or if the format isn't supported.

Before iTunes 10, I decided to sync just 1/4 of my pictures and it used over 1GB, now the whole lot takes up 1.2GB. Very nice improvement.

Quote:

Presumably by this time next year I'll have 150MB of music, all encoded at 128k aac. My Classic already doesn't have enough capacity to put all my music videos and the few movies and TV shows I like. To replace my Classic completely for the foreseeable future, I'd need a Touch with at least 200MB.

But let's say that next year, Apple introduce a 160GB iPod Touch and discontinue the Classic. Would you switch to the Touch or wait for an even higher capacity model?

With that much music, don't you find that it's hard to manage? It seems like you add new music but don't remove old music or perhaps you just like a wide variety of music. I wouldn't think you'd like all 50,000+ tracks but there's not really a way for you to remove songs you don't like from the iPod besides rating a song low, syncing and then removing low rated songs and syncing again. I think Apple needs to add content controls to the iOS devices with bi-directional sync so you can manage your music collection while consuming.

At least there should be an upper limit on your needs. If you buy 3 CDs per week with 20 tracks on it, every single week for your entire life, you should only be able to amass a collection of 250,000 tracks. I'd say that this should put the upper limit that any iPod owner would ever need for music at 750GB. But that assumes no management of the tracks and getting new albums that regularly for 80 years and being prepared to spend nearly £1/4 million on music, which I'd say is unlikely.

256GB-512GB should be enough for everyone and will be here in the next 3-4 years.