Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple announced Friday that its Ping social network for music has reached more than 1 million users in its first 48 hours after launch.

The Cupertino, Calif., company issued a press release to announce the good news. "One-third of the people who have downloaded iTunes 10 have joined Ping," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Internet Services. Cue expects the service to continue growing in coming weeks as more people download iTunes 10.

At Wednesday's keynote, Apple CEO Steve Jobs described Ping as "sort of like Facebook and Twitter meet iTunes." Users can follow artists and friends, and find out what others are purchasing and listening to.

With 160 million iTunes users in 23 countries, Ping has a ready audience, although users will have to opt-in to the service after downloading the latest version of iTunes.

Ping launched to mixed reactions. In response to Wednesday's product announcements, several analysts thought Ping "stole the show," while others questioned the viability of the social network.

The "social music discovery" service initially included a Facebook Connect option for finding friends, but the feature was quickly disabled. Jobs told journalist Kara Swisher Wednesday that the terms demanded by Facebook were "onerous."

Not all of the 1 million users are legitimate, though. Hours after launch, spammers had already begun posting links to "free iPhones" and scams. Numerous fake celebrity accounts have been created as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 174
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    That's Nice... but I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better at this point, if for no other reason than Apple's iTunes Store model is not well set up to support the kind of true music sharing/socializing system that the ZUNE Marketplace currently utilizes.

That's the beauty of having such a well-implemented subscription service as the ZUNE Pass, something that would severely impact Apple's current - 'you buy'... 'you don't like'... 'Too Bad, We've Already Got Our Money' - iTunes paradigm/scheme.
  • Reply 2 of 174
    Apple is doomed!?

• Reply 3 of 174
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That's Nice... but I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better at this point, if for no other reason than Apple's iTunes Store model is not well set up to support the kind of true music sharing/socializing system that the ZUNE Marketplace currently utilizes.

That's the beauty of having such a well-implemented subscription service as the ZUNE Pass, something that would severely impact Apple's current - 'you buy'... 'you don't like'... 'Too Bad, We've Already Got Our Money' - iTunes paradigm/scheme.

But ... 5 members?
  • Reply 4 of 174
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better .

Awesome!

Now back to Apple. I wonder what Ping will look like in 6 months. Seems like an awful lot of users in a short period of time.
  • Reply 5 of 174
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    A lot of the spam seemed to go away about half an hour ago.

The new software just seemed so drab I just pulled the previous version of iTunes from one of my backup drives.
  • Reply 6 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The new software just seemed so drab I just pulled the previous version of iTunes from one of my backup drives.

I really don't care for Ping. The sign up process obliterates any previous anonymous posts and reveals your real name. Not going for it.
  • Reply 7 of 174
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I really don't care for Ping. The sign up process obliterates any previous anonymous posts and reveals your real name. Not going for it.

Seems like there is no undo. I tried to delete my Ping account but so far not successful in that. I deleted all my personal information, then uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes but if I log in, my Ping account is still there. I wish I had never clicked on 'Turn on Ping'.
  • Reply 8 of 174
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I don't.

There is no such thing outside a very limited geographical range.

Quote:

• Reply 9 of 174
    to sign up for ping. all other profile info is customizable as well.
  • Reply 10 of 174
    i like it...i wish it had facebook support but im sure that will come. if only my wish list in itunes could be seen on my iphone.....so many more purchases would be made on pay day
  • Reply 11 of 174
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    My username is hill60, the same as here my real name is hidden, it wasn't hard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

• Reply 12 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Numerous fake celebrity accounts have been created as well.

This is, at least in part, due to the "Invitation Only" nature of artist accounts. Currently there is no way for artists to create an account for people to follow...they just have to wait for Apple to get around to inviting them to join Ping... \
  • Reply 13 of 174
    I will not join Ping until it uses my nickname and not the name on my credit card. I read it also changes the name on your reviews from your nickname to the one on your credit card. Major fail, Steve! Do you want me to take my credit card off my iTunes account so I can use a faux name to protect my privacy?
  • Reply 14 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!?

Anant is sundaram!?

• Reply 15 of 174
    There's not way in hell I'm joining this Ping until they change it so I don't have to use my full name. That's too much an invasion of privacy for my taste and I don't think it's necessary at all.
  • Reply 16 of 174
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The limelight in iTune glorifies the content, not the stagecraft. In fact, the drabness in props and stagecraft often underwrites the listener's covenant with Music, and marks due deference to the recording artists and expresses the self-effacing humility of the content provider. A novel idea indeed!

It's a win for dedicated content user, and a loss for the aggravated geek, on the fringe of the musical experience but on the forefront of its whimsical non sequiturs. The geek's tempest in a tea pot is no match for the sweet and sour sound of the rocking wave...
  • Reply 17 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

The limelight in iTune glorifies the content, not the stagecraft. In fact, the drabness in props and stagecraft often underwrites the listener's covenant with Music, and marks due deference to the recording artists and expresses the self-effacing humility of the content provider. A novel idea indeed!

It's a win for dedicated content user, and a loss for the aggravated geek, on the fringe of the musical experience but on the forefront of its whimsical non sequiturs. The geek's tempest in a tea pot is no match for the sweet and sour sound of the rocking wave...

Really?
  • Reply 18 of 174
    Quote:

Good for you but as for me I rather OWN my music instead of RENTING it! If i want to rent music i will just launch my free pandora account!!
  • Reply 19 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Anant is sundaram!?

The Infinite is beautiful.
  • Reply 20 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Good for you but as for me I rather OWN my music instead of RENTING it! If i want to rent music i will just launch my free pandora account!!

It appears that you're unaware that with the Zune Pass the subscriber is afforded 10 songs a month to keep forever (in non-DRM/MP3 format) for their US 14.99 monthly free.

The remaining million + songs are free to use as long as the subscription remains current (effectively reducing the cost of 'all you can download' subscription 256kbs + songs to US 4.99).

Maybe someday Apple will see fit to 'invent' an iPass (or some other Zune Pass competitor) for the iTunes store...

Who Knows