Anyone has any info about iPad2?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I have been using iPad since it's launched. And I really like it.

I can't wait to see how Apple will improve this cool gadget, at least in my imagination, I think iPad is good enough.

Has anyone has any info about the next gen iPad?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ageekpple View Post

I can't wait to see how Apple will improve this cool gadget, at least in my imagination, I think iPad is good enough.

I share your enthusiasm for the iPad. I too have been using one since it was released and am delighted with it. It is a tactile delight with remarkable screen resolution and excellent software. When Steve Jobs described it as a magical device, I cringed; but he was right. For me, the best measure of its appeal was my kids' reaction to it: the touch screen improves the user experience so much that they've junked the clunky console and hand controllers.

All the hype surrounding the launch created such massive expectations that no device could possibly live up to them. That said, early reviews criticised the iPad for being nothing more than a larger iPod Touch. Well, that is exactly what it is, but in providing a larger form factor the exponential increase in functionality trumps just about any other computing medium. The touch experience is just so compelling and enjoyable that it has genuinely defined a new input paradigm for personal computes.

So, what will iPad 2 offer?

Let's divide the answer into two sections: software and hardware. We'll start with hardware first.

HARDWARE

- The device size, weight, screen real-estate, battery life and computing power make the current size format all but perfect. It is good for reviewing and writing emails, reading books, watching movies and performing a wide variety of functions. Apple really thought through this carefully. So do I want a larger iPad? Well, I'm sure I'd try one. Do I want a smaller one, again, I'm sure I'd try one. If Apple did release multiple iPad sizes, (say 7" and 13") there's a good chance that I might own more than one. But if I could only own one, then I'd stick with current size format. (Actually, what my iPad experience makes me most wish for is a larger iPhone with a bigger screen size and longer battery life, but that's a whole other thread.)

- I said above that the current screen is great. It is. But now I have Retina Display on my iPhone, I want one on my iPad. Actually, what I really want is an 'electronic paper screen'. By that i mean something like e-ink's light reflective screen technology that can be viewed in bright ambient sun light. It will need intense pixel density, rich vibrant colour and a fast refresh rate so thatI can watch movies by the pool. I guess we're still a few years away from something like this, but boy, when it comes, it's going to be 'shock and awe' for handheld computing.

-The other screen request is that, when using a software keyboard, I need some kind of tactile feedback that tells me I have successfully pressed a particular key. If it could vibrate or somehow fool the mind that I have pressed a real key instead of a software one, that too would be helpful and impressive.

- I'd like two cameras on my next iPad. A rear facing one so I can take pictures and a front facing one so I can make face-time video calls. I'd like to see as large a megapixel capacity as possible. Having such a large screen for a viewfinder would be amazing.

- Adding a gyroscope would improve navigation and gaming as per the iPhone.

- A lot of people have mentioned the need for USB ports to attach peripherals such as cameras, printers and devices linked to gaming. i certainly see the iPad being used increasingly to control other devices, so USB ports are probably essential.

- With flash disks growing in capacity to provide additional memory as well as being ideal for storing photographs and sharing other data, it would be neat if iPAd 2 could have a flash disk port.

- I'm getting around eight hours of battery life from my iPad. While this is certainly impressive, I'd like it to be longer. If Apple could bump battery life to 12-15 hours, that would be terrific.

- I use the iPad a lot for watching movies and playing music without wearing headphones or plugging it in to a stereo, so larger better speakers would be welcome, so long as they didn't suck too much extra life out of the battery.

- Another piece of hardware I'd like to see is double headphones, so that two kids can watch the same movie at the same time. This would be very handy for car journeys. We're using the iPad a lot when travelling and it sure makes time fly by.

- In terms of other peripherals, I think the ability to use a bluetooth wireless keyboard is great. I like the dock and keyboard dock. i especially like the protective cover Apple has designed. It is very clever and a must for anyone with an IPad. It might be neat if there was a clip on lens that made the camera better.

- Finally, hard drive capacity. I am presently using a 64 Gb iPad. I'd buy a 500 Gb if one were available. That way I could take my entire video library with me wherever I went. I find that my iPad has replaced my old iPod as my primary music player. So the ability to stream music and video to my stereo and TV is going to be huge. This makes increased on-board storage capacity even more important.

SOFTWARE

- In my mind, software improvements will define the next iPad much more than any hardware upgrades. From what we've seen already, iOS 4.2 will provide a worthwhile increase in functionality versus the current operating system. But the iPad is such a capable machine, I want something more. In fact, I'd like it to be able to be use it as a standalone device that isn't dependent on a mother-ship Apple Mac computer to upload stuff. Of course, the iPad needs to retain the ability to sync with a Mac computer, but the ability to share music and video files between my devices is proving to be very important. I realise this has copyright implications.

- I'd like to see iOS and OSX merge into a single operating system that provides a UI appropriate to the device it is mounted on.

- Most of the apps from the App Store are brilliant and really add to the overall functionality of the device. As many apps begin to generate their own files/ documents, the question of where you store those files has become an issue. So if you purchase comics, for example, the files are stored within the app. While that is helpful, I'd like a separate drive on my iPad that stores all downloaded files. in other words, i need multiple means of storing, accessing and locating files. This is certainly important for software such as Pages, keynote and Numbers, where I need to store a large number of different files. i suspect that Apple may need to make iOS more like OSX to deliver this kind of functionality.

- All of the apps I use on my iPad are incredibly easy and intuitive to use. They have simple controls and it doesn't take much to figure out what to do. This is not true of Pages, Keynote and Numbers. They are difficult to use. Pages is just about okay, but I have stopped using Keynote and Numbers to create documents. I merely review things I am sent. These applications need to rewritten. Apple needs to start over and think about how to create on-screen presentations, documents and so on.

- When it comes to using Pages. I do tend to use my iPad a lot. I get sore finger tips from tapping the glass screen incessantly. (I hate to think what this will do to me after several years of use.) To avoid RSI, I'd like some kind of handwriting recognition software that allows me to write on the screen with any pen-like instrument.

- Better still, Dragon Dictation for the iPad / iPhone is great, but it isn't yet perfect. Improved voice recognition would be great.

- I don't like reviewing PDFs in iBooks. I need a dedicated PDF viewer.

So, there you have it, a wish list of future requirements.

i'd be very interested to hear others' comments about their iPad experiences and needs for future models.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This question is sillly as anybody that knows won't talk. So for the most part it is all speculation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ageekpple View Post

I don't even have one and can see that it is a great piece of hardware.

Quote:

The current iPad isn't good enough, atleast not for me. For one it needs a RAM update right away. 512 MB would make a huge difference but 1GB would be nice for a stretch. Sadly one of Apples own packaged Software (Safari) needs that RAM

Now performance isn't to bad with iPad but this guy really needs a faster SoC. It looks like Samsung has gotten its new A9 based processor out the door so it is reasonable to assume Apple isn't far behind. The question is will iPad get an interim update before the arrival of the A9 based SoC. It is a very interesting question especially if you consider that A9 could bring multiple cores to the platfom.

Quote:

Like I said those that do aren't talking! Most likely leaks will come via the bigger online sites.

However look at iPhone 4 as an indicator of possible iPad updates. Tech there will likely make it into iPad. It is enough to cause me to wait for the update.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by susanclient8 View Post

Many thanks to ur post. I love it.

You realize that absolutely none of that is the truth, right? It's impossible for anyone to know anything about the second iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The next iPad will be called iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The next iPad will be called iPad.

Will Granny get one?