Apple ram prices

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK I am finally going to by a Imac..i7 version but was wondering if apples ram prices are better now or should I go elsewhere...if so where..I am in Canada..Ontario

The last machine I had was a G5 Quad and apples prices were ridiculous back then...now not sure.

Also the i7 comes with 4 gig and 1 gig chunks...must I stay in pairs. 4 gig might be enough but 6 would be optimum I think



thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    First, it appears from Apple's configuration page that the stock ram comes in 2 2GB sticks, so you should have two ram slots open without having to toss anything. Not sure where you're getting the "1 gig chunks" thing?



    Having said that, Apple is charging $200 for a 4GB jump from 4 to 8.



    Other World Computing is charging $50 for a 2 GB stick, so you could do that same upgrade for half the money.



    It all comes down to what the time and hassle is worth to you, but given the relative simplicity of accessing ram on that model, I'd probably go with the after market option.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    apple has a rep for being expensive for ram

    try

    http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sorry ...meant to say 2 gig chunks....I have been looking but I don't see 1 gig sticks anymore...6 gig is all I need since I was working with 6.5 gig previously and that was plenty but is 2 gig sticks the minimum these days



    Thank you for the links and insight
  • Reply 4 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    I should probably mention that Apple's ram upgrade pricing isn't nearly as insane as it used to be, and is nearly in line with industry standard built to order norms, in some cases.



    It's always going to be more for having them do it rather than doing it yourself--they're charging for convenience. I think in some cases the Apple premium is actually reasonable enough to make it worth it-- particularly in the case of the Mini, which is a PITA to open and only has two memory slots, which means you're likely to be tossing some of the installed memory in order to upgrade.



    Ironically, improvements in the slots/upgrade access on the iMac has made even the somewhat reduced Apple upgrade prices that much less desirable, since you've got a pretty clear shot at two free slots.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    apple has a rep for being expensive for ram

    try

    http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx



    You don't even need to have it Mac Certified, any old RAM with ECC will do fine on a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by climber View Post


    sorry ...meant to say 2 gig chunks....I have been looking but I don't see 1 gig sticks anymore...6 gig is all I need since I was working with 6.5 gig previously and that was plenty but is 2 gig sticks the minimum these days



    Thank you for the links and insight



    Not really. Best performance comes from matching memory modules. So, if you mix 2 GB modules with other sizes, you are foregoing that better performance. The best next step upgrade to the standard 4 gig that comes with the machine is to go to 8 gig, using two more 2GB modules.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by climber View Post


    OK I am finally going to by a Imac..i7 version but was wondering if apples ram prices are better now or should I go elsewhere...if so where..I am in Canada..Ontario

    The last machine I had was a G5 Quad and apples prices were ridiculous back then...now not sure.



    The prices are still ridiculous. From Apple's iMac page:







    Yes, 4GB modules are $200 each of you want two of them and $250 each if you want four. Why the price goes up, I can't fathom. They're the same memory modules.



    Oh, and they're $70 each from Newegg. That's $280 instead of $1000 for 16GB.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    The prices are still ridiculous. From Apple's iMac page:



    Yes, 4GB modules are $200 each of you want two of them and $250 each if you want four. Why the price goes up, I can't fathom. They're the same memory modules.



    Oh, and they're $70 each from Newegg. That's $280 instead of $1000 for 16GB.



    Apple never changes prices within a product's lifetime. When the product is new, the prices match the rest of the world. Pretty simple to understand.
Sign In or Register to comment.