Caller ID technology

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello,

This question pertains to the iPhone as well as just about any cell phone out there. Especially smart phones.

On my old landline, when I would get a call, the caller ID would display the name and the phone number regardless of whether or not they were in my phone book. But, as early as my very first cell phone, it would only display a name if the person was in your address book.

What I do not understand is why, with all the improvements in cell phones, this is still the case? Is there a technical reason or is it just "tradition" at this point? Personally, I would welcome the feature.

Any thought or reasons, please share. (technical or otherwise).

Thanks,

Justin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Depends whether your plan has Caller ID or Caller Display (sometimes called name display). Caller ID includes just the phone number. If your phones has that number associated with a contact, then it will display the name in your contact list. Call Display sends the name and number. If the phone supports it, then it will display this name as send. IIRC, early iPhone OS versions did not support Caller Display, but I believe since 3.1 it has. I only have caller ID on my line so I cannot confirm.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Depends whether your plan has Caller ID or Caller Display (sometimes called name display). Caller ID includes just the phone number. If your phones has that number associated with a contact, then it will display the name in your contact list. Call Display sends the name and number. If the phone supports it, then it will display this name as send. IIRC, early iPhone OS versions did not support Caller Display, but I believe since 3.1 it has. I only have caller ID on my line so I cannot confirm.

So you are saying that it is an option with my iPhone 4, I just have to get/pay AT&T to enable it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

So you are saying that it is an option with my iPhone 4, I just have to get/pay AT&T to enable it?

I have no idea what AT&T provides. You should call them and ask if the have call id or call display that also displays the caller name, regardless of it being in the contacts on the phone. AT&T might not. My carrier in Canada does.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    At this time only originating call number information is being transmitted to cell phones from their carriers.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post

At this time only originating call number information is being transmitted to cell phones from their carriers.

...in the US.

Well, guess that settles the OP's question about AT&T.Also explained why the iPhone didn't support Name Display originally when it launched on international carriers that had for some time.