Steve Jobs Pissing Match with Journalism Student

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Jobs is known for replying to random emails sent to his personal Apple email address. Well, a college journalism student from Long Island emailed him about a problem she had with Apple's PR department. Jobs' response? "Leave us alone."

http://goo.gl/OI5I

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, not exactly. There was a fair amount of back and forth wherein the journalism student acted as if it were Apple's responsibility to respond to her demands, so she could get a good grade.

The "leave us alone" came after she got increasingly belligerent and displayed a pretty off-putting sense of entitlement.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Heh, bitching out Jobs via blackberry and then getting miffed that he eventually says bugger off is highly amusing.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Disappointing to see the level of maturity university students show at the age of 22 these days. She speaks like a 12 year old girl:

"I was like, Wow, Steve Jobs, I get it. You made Apple, you have a shit-load of money but you have no class."

I think his response was pretty good under the circumstances.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    On the other hand, when she gets her degree and tries to land a job with whichever tabloid is passing itself off as doing "journalism" at that point, she'll already have a calling card that enhances her "brand": she irritated a public figure and got some page hits out of it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

On the other hand, when she gets her degree and tries to land a job with whichever tabloid is passing itself off as doing "journalism" at that point, she'll already have a calling card that enhances her "brand": she irritated a public figure and got some page hits out of it.

Maybe she can go interview at Gizmodo?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Sometimes i think Jobs thinks he is hot shit with his attitude with people he is dealing with.This student deserves respect even from Jobs himself.Without someone donating a liver he would not be here today.Treat people with respect.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Sometimes i think Jobs thinks he is hot shit with his attitude with people he is dealing with.This student deserves respect even from Jobs himself.Without someone donating a liver he would not be here today.Treat people with respect.

Well, 'respect' may be too much too ask. As 'respect' needs to be earned on merit of course. But common courtesy, simple politeness, and basic manners seem in short supply at Apple. I.o.w. archetypical corporate arrogance reigns. Since OSX, to be sure.

Jobs' attitude is a subject touched upon in this thread as well.

The 'respect' that is so easily invoked in street lingo is not at all respect earned on merit of course. The fav street word 'respect' is simply another word for fear of the one who 'demands' it. It is plain and simple an attempt at intimidation in both tone and meaning, usually reinforced with appropriate 'cool' hip-hop gestures.