advice on when to buy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New user here, Hi!

I think I am ready to take the plunge into the OSX/Apple world and am in need of advice on when to buy.

A little information about me:

I am an aspiring graphic, web and print designer living in NYC. I have been a Windows/PC user for 20 years and a secret Apple fan since the iPhone. I tend to use computers for practicing my design and occasional gaming.

For awhile any ideas of transitioning into the mac world have been squashed with the price tag of the systems. I have been saving and within a month or two I will have enough to buy a 17 inch macbook pro.

My question is:

While the current macbook pro line was introduced in April, when do you think they will refresh the hardware or introduce a new macbook pro?

I don't remember the specifics about the student discount + free ipod touch. Can anyone explain how that process works? Do I still get the standard student discount + a free ipod touch? When do they start offering this deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Laptop update late this fall.

What makes you think you qualify for the student discount? You have to wait until next June to get a free iPod. Anyone can get the free printer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's a site that charts historical frequency of updates against time since last update and assigns the results a buy-wait-don't buy weighting, for each model of Apple product.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Laptop update late this fall.

What makes you think you qualify for the student discount? You have to wait until next June to get a free iPod. Anyone can get the free printer.

I would purchase it through someone who is a student or I might go back to school for another degree.

June... damn, guess thats out of the question.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Here's a site that charts historical frequency of updates against time since last update and assigns the results a buy-wait-don't buy weighting, for each model of Apple product.

Thank you, that list was a huge help.