Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A team of analysts for investment bank Goldman Sachs said Monday that their sources lead them to believe Apple will introduce a second-generation iPad during the spring of 2011 that will feature a camera, mini USB and a lighter design.

Citing supply chain checks, the analyst duo of Henry King and Kevin Lu said they believe that Hon Hai will remain the sole manufacturer of the new 9.7-inch model, explaining that the Cupertino-based electronics maker remains undecided on a second partner to help build the tablets.

The analysts also said their checks found that "the 7? iPad project has not yet been finalized" and therefore said its "unlikely to be launched ahead of the new 9.7? iPad."

According to the pair, the new 9.7-inch iPad "is targeted to be thinner and lighter, with an embedded camera and mini USB." It "could be launched in early" second quarter of 2011, they said.

A camera-equipped second-generation iPad would fall in line with Apple's plan to ship FaceTime on as many devices as possible. Earlier in September, AppleInsider learned that a FaceTime-enabled iPad had progressed to "advanced testing stages." Sources indicated that Apple was unlikely to follow its usual 12-month product cycle with the iPad, possibly refreshing it in the first quarter of 2011.

Last week, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes also predicted a first quarter 2011 debut for the second-generation iPad, suggesting that the tablet would maintain the same 9.7-inch screen size..

Rumors of a second-generation 7-inch iPad model have persisted since shortly after the iPad launched in April. On Friday, a Chinese website claimed a 7-inch iPad that takes after the iPhone 4 aesthetic is already a "finished product."

While 7-inch iPad rumors remain unverified, Blackberry-maker Research in Motion has gone ahead and made 7" the new 9.7". RIM announced Monday that it will release the "Playbook," a 7-inch tablet, in early 2011. Early rumors about RIM's answer to the iPad had pegged the screen at 9.7 inches.

Mini USB on the next iteration of the iPad would come as a surprising break from Apple's reliance on its own proprietary dock connector. Apple collects substantial licensing fees and royalties for accessories that utilize the company's custom connection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    All the wannabes are going to have to scramble a bit now.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    Once again, Apple's deep bench and head start will keep the target moving for competitors. The MacBook Air was probably as important as an incubator for many things iPad as it was a laptop per se. I was waiting for the second generation iPad before buying, and now I'm really stoked.

PS: I hope that when Apple updates iWeb that there'll be a simple way of adding special iPad/iPhone mobile website form factor to the sites you build for standard browsers.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    This sounds more like what I'd expect. Apple doesn't seem in ANY rush to release a 7" tablet. AT ALL. The only reason people are coming out with 7" tablets, is because that's the only form factor they're able to make work economically and with manufacturing partners. At least that's my gut. Right now, people can't compete, and they're trying to change the subject, because Apple released a product that was too cheap for them to replicate.

~ CB
  • Reply 4 of 78
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cleverboy View Post

This sounds more like what I'd expect. Apple doesn't seem in ANY rush to release a 7" tablet. AT ALL. The only reason people are coming out with 7" tablets, is because that's the only form factor they're able to make work economically and with manufacturing partners. At least that's my gut. Right now, people can't compete, and they're trying to change the subject, because Apple released a product that was too cheap for them to replicate.

~ CB

While I agree you, I wish Apple would come out with a 7" model. Better size for me.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Idiotic. This is pure BS.

Why would Apple put a mini-USB on a small iPad, when they put a full iPod dock connector on a iPod nano? Answer: they wouldn't, Goldman Sachs just wants to pretend to be savvy to their clients. No wonder they needed bailout money from the Fed. R-tards.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Once again, Apple's deep bench and head start will keep the target moving for competitors. The MacBook Air was probably as important as an incubator for many things iPad as it was a laptop per se. I was waiting for the second generation iPad before buying, and now I'm really stoked.

PS: I hope that when Apple updates iWeb that there'll be a simple way of adding special iPad/iPhone mobile website form factor to the sites you build for standard browsers.

Yes as this is what I was waiting on as well...now that I have my mac mini fix, Im ready for the next release...with all these new products popping up its becoming a little addictive
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sincere View Post

Yes as this is what I was waiting on as well...now that I have my mac mini fix, Im ready for the next release...with all these new products popping up its becoming a little addictive

I'm not sure the iPad needs to be lighter and thinner. Its already really thin to the point you almost have no option but to buy a case. I would rather see the new iPad more powerful with the same battery life even if that ment they had to make it a little thicker.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I'm gonna say pure speculation.

First of all, if the 7 incher is gonna have a camera, so will the 9 incher. Apple has a long history of bigger screen sizes within a product line meaning a more Pro or Feature rich models. I don't think apple will change its stance here. The only way I see 7 incher gaining features that 9 inch does is if the 9 inch goes away, and is totally replaced by a more compact model.

As far as USB, I think this might be the least likely addition. I think the dongle will remain a necessity until at least version 3, and even then will be added if it is absolutely necessary.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    As long as the iPad needs a dock connector it won't get a USB. Apple might change their software to allow their dock connector to do other things besides work for photos.

Adding a card reader would make much more sense for customers. Unfortunately for us, adding a card reader would negate the need for iPads with larger (more expensive) internal drives. Memory cards are the future. I wish Apple would totally go with them on all of their products that are bigger than iPod Nanos.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm not sure the iPad needs to be lighter and thinner. Its already really thin to the point you almost have no option but to buy a case. I would rather see the new iPad more powerful with the same battery life even if that ment they had to make it a little thicker.

I don't know. Far be it from me to criticize an Apple product LOL, but reading from an iPad in bed while holding it in one hand is when it seems a wee bit heavy. The weight never bothers me any other time. If Apple make it lighter but just as sturdy (LiquidMetal??) I'm all for it, as long as the battery life is as good or better. The history of Apple mobile devices tells us this will happen.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    The battery may get slightly thinner, but people won't like having any significant reduction in performance or battery life. Perhaps a Retina-style larger screen is in the works, but I seriously doubt it. The current screen is nice. All that can be trimmed is the internal electronics or the weight of the case.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

....Goldman Sachs just wants to pretend to be savvy to their clients. No wonder they needed bailout money from the Fed.

There are lots of things that you can - legitimately - criticize Goldman Sachs for, but their needing bailout money is not one of them.

They were doing quite well, actually, even as the rest of the industry was falling like nine-pins.

Suffice it to say that they were given an offer they couldn't refuse. They were not given the option to say 'no.' (They were also the first to pay it all back, and with interest).
  • Reply 13 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The battery may get slightly thinner, but people won't like having any significant reduction in performance or battery life. Perhaps a Retina-style larger screen is in the works, but I seriously doubt it. The current screen is nice. All that can be trimmed is the internal electronics or the weight of the case.

LiquidMetal

I just read up on LM and it is not lighter than Aluminum just stronger. Perhaps it could be thinner therefore the product would indeed be lighter.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A team of analysts for investment bank Goldman Sachs said Monday that their sources lead them to believe Apple will introduce a second-generation iPad during the spring of 2011 that will feature a camera, mini USB and a lighter design....

This doesn't seem like much of a prediction to me.

Betting that the next years model will be thinner and lighter is like betting the sun will come up in the morning. Every Apple product gets thinner and lighter with each iteration since they are obsessed with thinness and lightness. Predicting that it will have a camera is like being an echo chamber for everything everyone has said about the iPad so far and the mini-USB prediction is almost certainly just wrong. Also, if it comes out in late spring or early second quarter, isn't that the exact same time as the original came out?

I think these guys just like to hear themselves speak.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know. Far be it from me to criticize an Apple product LOL, but reading from an iPad in bed while holding it in one hand is when it seems a wee bit heavy. The weight never bothers me any other time. If Apple make it lighter but just as sturdy (LiquidMetal??) I'm all for it, as long as the battery life is as good or better. The history of Apple mobile devices tells us this will happen.

I am not sure its the weight but for me it always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand until I got a case. I was always afraid I was going to drop it because it just felt slippery.

I ended up getting another case from Otter Box its great. Made of rubber with a folding stand I swear I could bounce the iPad off the ground and not break it now...lol.

And I do agree I don't want the battery life touched. I already have to deal with poor battery life with my Android phone.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LiquidMetal

Actually I have never felt anything made in LiquidMetal, if it is too light it might feel a bit weird but I guess batteries can make up the difference.

I know people keep saying it is, but liquid metal is not actually lighter than other metals. It's still metal, it's just cooled differently.

It has a higher strength to weight ratio, so products can be made thinner and still be as strong, but it isn't actually lighter than other metals by any appreciable amount.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There are lots of things that you can - legitimately - criticize Goldman Sachs for, but their needing bailout money is not one of them.

They were doing quite well, actually, even as the rest of the industry was falling like nine-pins.

Suffice it to say that they were given an offer they couldn't refuse. They were not given the option to say 'no.' (They were also the first to pay it all back, and with interest).

You speak the truth on the bailout.

My problem with Goldman is how they were selling customers one set of securities and then betting that those same securities would go down in value with house money. See the link below.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...evin-says.html
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Memory cards are the future.

really??? REALLY?? what!!?? really? i mean... are you serious... Really? are you... Really?
  • Reply 19 of 78
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Everybody is always going on about needing a USB connector on the Ipad.

Now a 30 pin connector has an output of 3.3 volts and a USB 2 connector has an output of 5 volts. So I have always wondered if the lack of USB has more to do with the power output specification against battery life then anything else. I mean, what does that screen and cpu pull? anyone know?
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

As long as the iPad needs a dock connector it won't get a USB. Apple might change their software to allow their dock connector to do other things besides work for photos.

Adding a card reader would make much more sense for customers. Unfortunately for us, adding a card reader would negate the need for iPads with larger (more expensive) internal drives. Memory cards are the future. I wish Apple would totally go with them on all of their products that are bigger than iPod Nanos.

I hope memory cards aren't the future. I hate them and I am glad I don't have to deal with them for my iPhone (2G version). I rarely use the whole 16GB on my iPhone so I don't feel like it would add anything to have card capacity.

I never change the one in my camera (even though I have 2). I wish it just had a couple GB internal.

I realize that I may be in the minority on this one.