Would you give a tip?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Here's the situation: you are staying in a hotel in the US and order room service for a late supper. The itemised bill includes both a "service charge" and a "delivery charge", which together come to about $7-$10. Would you give the waiter a cash-in-hand tip on top of this? Do you think he or she would be expecting to receive one, and if so are they justified in this expectation?



When this happened to me a couple of years ago, I did not give a tip. There was no protestation from the waiter but I couldn't tell if he maybe had been expecting one. What would you do? If you don't give a tip, should you explain why?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    The "waiter" was probably expecting one, but probably also used to not getting them (when customers notice it on the bill already.)



    Yes, I would consider a "service charge" AND "delivery charge" to cover his tip.





    I also get pissed at restaurants that include the tip in my bill... it's generally less than I would have tipped had it been left up to me, but if they want to "bill me" for the TIP, then that's all they're gonna get!!!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Here's the situation: you are staying in a hotel in the US and order room service for a late supper. The itemised bill includes both a "service charge" and a "delivery charge", which together come to about $7-$10. Would you give the waiter a cash-in-hand tip on top of this? Do you think he or she would be expecting to receive one, and if so are they justified in this expectation?



    When this happened to me a couple of years ago, I did not give a tip. There was no protestation from the waiter but I couldn't tell if he maybe had been expecting one. What would you do? If you don't give a tip, should you explain why?



    Where i live they do not know what the word tip means.Not in there vocabulary.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    i've learned my lesson

    READ THE MENU

    ALSO READ THE ROOM INFO

    i was ended up with a $125 phone bill, but after complaining, and that it was not clearly indicated got it taken off......SO BE CAREFUL

    it will talk of "fees"

    its built into the bill so I DON'T DOUBLE PAY THE TIP



    i used to work as a waiter in Lost Wages, i always preferred a cash tip, so the evil IRS can't monitor my stuff, IRS takes an estimate based on the billed so i would always appreciate the cash, also love those gift cards, shows up on the bill as minimal amount and most will have left me the remainder cha ching.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I would give a tip (noticed that I'm the only one so far that would).



    In your scenario the services charges were say $10 (I'm rounding off to illustrate how I'd handle it). If I was going to tip $15, then I would 'tip' $5 for a total of $15 including the service charges.



    I don't like to punish the waiters for decisions they may or may not have had any say about. As well I waited tables while in college so I have a soft spot for them. They often get stiffed.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I don't like to punish the waiters for decisions they may or may not have had any say about.



    That defeats the whole purpose of a tip though!

    A tip is supposed to be a little something extra for providing better than "the bare minimum level" of service. If they (or their employer, or the government) want to take that decision out of my hands, then don't expect any extra!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    That defeats the whole purpose of a tip though!

    A tip is supposed to be a little something extra for providing better than "the bare minimum level" of service. If they (or their employer, or the government) want to take that decision out of my hands, then don't expect any extra!



    Why not give what your would have given anyway? If the service is poor I don't give any 'tip'. Yes they got the service charge and it sucks that its out of my control. That's life sometimes.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I would give a tip (noticed that I'm the only one so far that would).



    In your scenario the services charges were say $10 (I'm rounding off to illustrate how I'd handle it). If I was going to tip $15, then I would 'tip' $5 for a total of $15 including the service charges.



    I don't like to punish the waiters for decisions they may or may not have had any say about. As well I waited tables while in college so I have a soft spot for them. They often get stiffed.



    Some extra info: IIRC, the main bill was under $50. Don't you think $15 would be a very large tip (>30%), especially when you consider this isn't like a waiter at a restaurant who has been working all night to keep you happy. This is someone who's spent 10 mins getting a trolley from the kitchens to your room. Your "extra" $5 cash is then the equivalent of $30 an hour which is somewhat more than I earn.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Why not give what your would have given anyway?



    Because they don't want me to. They think I'm incapable of determining a proper tip based on the service provided... that's why they incorporated it into the bill. They would much rather have a small "guaranteed" tip than a larger one that they might have to actually "earn".



    (Yes, I know how the minimum wage law works in the US, and I don't like it. Tips should NOT be considered part of a workers minimum wage!!)
Sign In or Register to comment.