Skakel guilty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/06/skakel.trial/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/06/skakel.trial/index.html</a>;

Well I have no connection to this case other than I work in the town of Norwalk. Must be why there was so much traffic today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Took 26 years but I'm happy they convicted the "I'm too rich and powerful to arrest, charge and convict me." scumbag. Now if they could only re-open the Chappaquiddick case...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Anyone notice how good the Kennedy clan seems to be at killing women.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Killing and sleeping with.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    with or without consent.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm glad you guys can so easily make such statements without providing the facts to back them up.

You Republicans might remember the Kennedys as drunk womanizers, but how easily you forget great men like Robert Kennedy and all of the good things that John F. Kennedy did.

Remember, if not for those two men, we might not be here today.

Edit: Also, I'm so glad to you felt the need to connect someone who was found guilty of murder to the entire family. Good job. Hey, your cousin killed someone! Your entire family is horrible! Get a clue guys.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Erra yer wrong

Lets' see.

Ted killed that girl when he drove off that bridge.

John Jonh crahsed his plane killing two.

Skakel clubed that poor girl.

That's four right there.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    So, you're suggesting that Ted Kennedy intentionally drove his car off of a bridge and that John F Kennedy Jr intentionally crashed his plane?

I know you usually grasp at straws but this is ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    But Bush was judged by the actions of his daughters. Anyways it wasn't political at all. This guy was so sure he was going to get off scott free like OJ it's good to see that sometimes, just sometimes, justice works in America. In fact I liked JFK as a president. But Ted Kennedy is still a jack off.

(And I'm not a republican't. But I guess if you have something bad to say about a democrap you have to be labeled somehow so we all fit in nice little bins like sorted mail)
  • Reply 9 of 19
    [quote]But Bush was judged by the actions of his daughters. Anyways it wasn't political at all. This guy was so sure he was going to get off scott free like OJ it's good to see that sometimes, just sometimes, justice works in America.<hr></blockquote>

I don't think that Bush took that big of a hit from what his daughter's did, and I certainly wouldn't blame Bush for what they did either. You can't make generalizations about a family for the actions of one person.

As for this case, it's the same way. WTF does this guy have to do with the other Kennedy's except for the fact that he's sort of related. Making a connection between him and even Ted Kennedy is wrong. This thread is being used as an excuse to bash the Kennedys, and I think its foolish. Bash Skakel, I can't object. But bashing the Kennedy family? I don't see the connection.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    spaceman_spiffspaceman_spiff Posts: 1,242member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I'm glad you guys can so easily make such statements without providing the facts to back them up.

You Republicans might remember the Kennedys as drunk womanizers, but how easily you forget great men like Robert Kennedy and all of the good things that John F. Kennedy did.

Remember, if not for those two men, we might not be here today.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fran, I like RFK and JFK too but your hero worship is a little over-the-top. If it weren?t for them, we might not be here today? You could say that of Churchill, perhaps, but Bobby and Jack?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:

<strong>

Fran, I like RFK and JFK too but your hero worship is a little over-the-top. If it weren?t for them, we might not be here today? You could say that of Churchill, perhaps, but Bobby and Jack?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Cuba Crisis. Thirteen days minus 50% still = saved the world
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

The Cuba Crisis. Thirteen days minus 50% still = saved the world</strong><hr></blockquote>

How can prove a different person and/or different method would not have "saved the world". One could argue that Reagan saved the world when he put a stop to the funny business in Granada.

Anyway no, Fran, I'm not suggesting that they all tried to kill the women. Just that they seem rather skilled at it. If my sister was dating a Kennedy I'd take out a policy. I'm sure it would cost to much though.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>

How can prove a different person and/or different method would not have "saved the world".</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can´t prove anything. But I have read a lot on the crisis both out of interest and in IR. Of course a lot of it is biased (like the writings of Robert Kennedy and Ted Sorensen) but more "neutral" accounts of the events point me to the same conclusion.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

The Cuba Crisis. Thirteen days minus 50% still = saved the world</strong><hr></blockquote>

One could place a fair amount of blame for the Cuban missile crisis on the Bay of Pigs fiasco. Meaning: JFK dealt with a problem he helped to create in the first place.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>Erra yer wrong

Lets' see.

Ted killed that girl when he drove off that bridge.

John Jonh crahsed his plane killing two.

Skakel clubed that poor girl.

That's four right there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Skakel isn't really a Kenndy is he? He's only related by marriage.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    I think he should have been found innocent,there isn't any hard evidence linking him to the crime.In my opinion he probably did it,but I don't think the prosecution met the standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt,not at all.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent:

<strong>

Skakel isn't really a Kenndy is he? He's only related by marriage.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ethel Kennedy's (Bobby's widow) maiden name was Skakel. That's the connection. So RFK and Michael Skakel wouldn't be blood relatives but Bobby's kids - all first cousins to Michael Skakel - are.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>I think he should have been found innocent,there isn't any hard evidence linking him to the crime.In my opinion he probably did it,but I don't think the prosecution met the standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt,not at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You may be right. I haven't heard what the great new evidance is against him. If they found a golf club with her blood and his prints it would be big news. But there doesn't seem to be a smoking gun here. I'm off to NYT to see what I can read.

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: scott_h_phd ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>I think he should have been found innocent,there isn't any hard evidence linking him to the crime.In my opinion he probably did it,but I don't think the prosecution met the standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt,not at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree on both points (that he probably did it, but shouldn't have been convicted based on the evidence presented). I haven't been following the trial that closely, but from what I understand, all of the evidence was circumstantial and based on 27 year old testimony from witnesses that were admitted drug addicts at the time.

Also, one of the news shows interviewed some of the jurors this morning, who said that they based their conviction on Skakel's "hubris" and/or guilty conscience that seemed to want to be convicted, which is kind of odd considering that Skakel never took to stand or said a word throughout the course of the trial.