AppleTV Streaming (Warning: Possibly Stupid Question)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If I'm streaming a show that I have downloaded on to my computer's hard drive to the new AppleTV, is it being sent via my Internet connection or is it communicating in some other way? As in, if I have 40GB of bandwidth to use each month, will streaming the downloaded show to AppleTV use up some of my 40GB? For example, the download was 5GB. So I have 35GB left. If I watch what I downloaded twice that month, will it knock me down to 25GB or is the streaming just from device-to-device and not using my Internet connection?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post

If I'm streaming a show that I have downloaded on to my computer's hard drive to the new AppleTV, is it being sent via my Internet connection or is it communicating in some other way? As in, if I have 40GB of bandwidth to use each month, will streaming the downloaded show to AppleTV use up some of my 40GB? For example, the download was 5GB. So I have 35GB left. If I watch what I downloaded twice that month, will it knock me down to 25GB or is the streaming just from device-to-device and not using my Internet connection?

If you computer and AppleTV are on a home area network together, this does not count against your ISP's bandwidth cap. Do you have a router with a firewall? Or do all your machines all have an IP address like 192.168.xxx.xxx? If so, you probably have a LAN in your home and bandwidth usage within the LAN is unlimited (and private).