MacBook Conundrum

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I have a MacBook that I acquired with the common problem of not turning on. However it is a conundrum I have not found the specific answer to in the forums. When I got it the power button didn't work, but it would go to sleep and wake up. It would also only run on the power cord. I noticed it kept losing the date so I assumed it was the pram battery. Bought one, replace it and....wouldn't turn on at all. When I looked at the battery I removed, I noticed that one of the wires was disconnected. So here is where I am at:

Situation #1.

Pram battery disconnected.

System will start with power cord and no battery. Put battery in and system shuts down.

Power button does not work

Situation #2

pram battery disconnected with battery in.

System will not start.

Situation #3

pram battery connected with no battery or battery in.

system will not start.

When the pram is connected I can't reset the pram because the system won't start.

I live no where near an apple store. Any suggestions, thoughts? Is this the logic board? If so, why will the system function in situation #1?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrcarlson View Post

So I have a MacBook that I acquired with the common problem of not turning on. However it is a conundrum I have not found the specific answer to in the forums. When I got it the power button didn't work, but it would go to sleep and wake up. It would also only run on the power cord. I noticed it kept losing the date so I assumed it was the pram battery. Bought one, replace it and....wouldn't turn on at all. When I looked at the battery I removed, I noticed that one of the wires was disconnected. So here is where I am at:

Situation #1.

Pram battery disconnected.

System will start with power cord and no battery. Put battery in and system shuts down.

Situation #2

pram battery disconnected with battery in.

System will not start.

Situation #3

pram battery connected with no battery or battery in.

system will not start.

When the pram is connected I can't reset the pram because the system won't start.

I live no where near an apple store. Any suggestions, thoughts? Is this the logic board? If so, why will the system function in situation #1?

Thanks.

When you try to open the laptop do you have a big question mark on the screen? try calling apple in Cupertino for a possible solution to your problem.Good Luck
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

When you try to open the laptop do you have a big question mark on the screen? try calling apple in Cupertino for a possible solution to your problem.Good Luck

No, when the macbook is plugged in and on, it works fine. Boots up, logs in, surfs the web. You just can't use the power button to shut it off or turn it on. You can restart, that will go. But if it shuts down, you have to pull the battery and plug it in. Then it turns on.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrcarlson View Post

No, when the macbook is plugged in and on, it works fine. Boots up, logs in, surfs the web. You just can't use the power button to shut it off or turn it on. You can restart, that will go. But if it shuts down, you have to pull the battery and plug it in. Then it turns on.

There is a place in California called I FIX IT they are very knowledgeable about all macs. They even have a website try it they will probably solve your problem.