Some driver is using up CPU, how do I seek and destroy?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On my Macbook Pro, the Activity Monitor, shows something called 'LexmarkCUPSDriver' using 99% of the CPU, and the fan is going all the time, and the laptop gets hot. When I choose that process and Quit it, all goes back to normal. But when I restart there it is again. I tried searching for it, but no dice.

Anyone know what that is (I'm guessing it's a printer driver) and how to find it and make it go away without hurting anything? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I would delete the file.

If you haven't changed the name of our hard drive then you will find the file at

Macintosh HD\\Printers\\Lexmark\\Drivers\\LexmarkCUPSDriver

Just drag that file to the trash and empty the trash. If you are using a Lexmark printer the system will look for the driver. When it doesn't find it it will look to the web to get the correct file. No problems.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks!. I tried following that path you describe, but no luck, is it in a System folder, or Library folder perhaps?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

I would delete the file.

If you haven't changed the name of our hard drive then you will find the file at

Macintosh HD\\Printers\\Lexmark\\Drivers\\LexmarkCUPSDriver

Just drag that file to the trash and empty the trash. If you are using a Lexmark printer the system will look for the driver. When it doesn't find it it will look to the web to get the correct file. No problems.

• Reply 3 of 6
    Sorry about that it is in Library

Macintosh HD\\Library\\Printers\\Lexmark\\Drivers\\LexmarkCU PSDriver
  • Reply 4 of 6
    yup, that's where it was, thank you! I took it out and put it on my desktop. Restarted, and it fixed the problem. Now that's not a printer I normally use, probably loaded when I was working somewhere or visiting and used their printer. Can I/should I trash that entire Lexmark folder?

Quote:

Sorry about that it is in Library

Macintosh HD\\Library\\Printers\\Lexmark\\Drivers\\LexmarkCU PSDriver

• Reply 5 of 6
    There is not harm in keeping the Lexmark folder. Since that file was causing your problem I would delete it. The system is smart enough to know where to find the file if it needs it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ok will do. Thanks!
    Quote:

There is not harm in keeping the Lexmark folder. Since that file was causing your problem I would delete it. The system is smart enough to know where to find the file if it needs it.