Using Time Capsule as a wireless router

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is a phenomenally dumb question I'm sure but can I use my Time Capsule as a wireless router in preference to that provided by my internet company? Or must I connect there's via ethernet to the Time Capsule and it merely extends the network?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    The TimeCapsule IS a stand-alone wireless (and 3 wired ports) router.

It is NOT a cable or DSL "modem" though. You will still need that item from your ISP.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The TimeCapsule IS a stand-alone wireless (and 3 wired ports) router.

It is NOT a cable or DSL "modem" though. You will still need that item from your ISP.

Thank you. Yes that's what I meant to ask and had wondered.

Also, the Time Capsule site at Apple says:

"Say you?re travelling and you need a file on your Time Capsule back at home. If you?re a MobileMe member using a Mac with Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard, no problem. 2 You can access all the files on your Time Capsule drive over the Internet. Simply register your Time Capsule with your MobileMe account, and its drive appears in the Finder sidebar of your Mac just like any other attached drive."

Well I've checked the help pages and Support pages on the Apple website for both Time Capsule and MobileMe and can find no instruction son how to do this. Any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Ok after some googling I've found out how to do it. Not obvious through the Airport Utility where the setting would be and little help on the Apple website. Anyway, at present I have a local copy of my iDisk on both systems and they sync whenever I amend files on either system. Is there a quick and easy way to get a similar level of autosave to the over-the-internet version of Time capsule?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Is there a quick and easy way to get a similar level of autosave to the over-the-internet version of Time capsule?

No. The Time Capsule disk is just that, a disk. There's not an option to have a "sync'd copy" of it on your computer's HDD (like the iDisk)...

That said... accessing it over the internet works fine, but speed is generally not so great (due to the connections I use in hotels/coffee shops/etc.) For accessing simple files it works fine, but I wouldn't plan on accessing audio or video via the internet (from the TC drive) unless you've got a much-better-than-average public internet connection!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I use FREE TeamViewer to remotely access and operate my home/office desktop machines. Simply start it up on your home/office machine(s) and make a note of the randomly generated ID(s) and password(s) for that session before you leave with your MB, MBP, or MBA. Then wherever you can connect to the internet you can remotely login to, access, and operate your home/office machine(s) with FREE TeamViewer as if you sat in front of it. Because you effectively do: you're looking at your home/office machine's desktop as you know it and you can operate its mouse and keyboard from your portable machine's keyboard and trackpad.

FREE TeamViewer is also cross platform: it works on Macs and on Windows machines. Ideal for remote troubleshooting. Or for collaboration on a project. Or for remotely projecting a video, slideshow, or PowerPoint/KeyNote presentation.

Broadband required.