Vigilance - Be careful out there!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Everybody,

When I'm not lurking here, I'm over at a cycling based message board and a lot of stories like these have popped up recently:

<a href="http://www.theadvocate.com/stories/061202/new_truck001.shtml"; target="_blank">1 killed 6 injured</a>

Update: actually 2 of them were killed. One died later in the hospital. One's still in ICU with a brain injury.

Aside from being a Mac user, I am an avid cyclist and racer. My purpose in posting this here is just to ask that when you drive, please please watch out for us relatively defenseless cyclists (and pedestrians). I'm not suggesting that any of you are bad drivers, but I know that sometimes non-automobile traffic can be hard to see, so the heads up will (hopefully) result in a bit of increased vigilance on the road and fewer of these horrific accidents occurring.

Besides, if you hit me, Apple's market share goes down measurably.

Regards,

Thoth

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    About three years ago I was in NYC and three blocks of the Avenue of the Americas was closed off...I saw that there were police everywhere... surrounding an 18 wheeler...I nudged through the bystanders and just below the rear wheels was a twisted 10 speed...

I couldn't find out if the rider survived, but the other cyclists watching the scene didn't look to happy...

Be careful out there. I live in Philly and the majority of the riders I see are girls/women!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks. I'll be careful on my Cannondale F500
  • Reply 3 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    One of the guys in HR was riding with friends in the area when a car turned left to beat a light -- and sent one of the cyclists through his windshield. He had serious arterial bleeding but was stabilized after losing a lot of blood. Here's the real catch: the driver admitted to seeing the cyclists (who obviously had the right of way going straight) and decided to risk it anyway. Truth is, this area has a lot of cyclists even to and from work. Most people are fine and treat cyclists as other vehicles as they should, but sometimes they're just careless (to put it nicely).

[quote]Originally posted by Thoth2:

<strong>Besides, if you hit me, Apple's market share goes down measurably.</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 4 of 5
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    God...

This is the reason that I gave up my bike. Even with the proliferation of bike paths in Los Angeles, it was still too hairy to be riding. Too many people paying attention to dialling the phone or swilling the mocha to care that their 3-ton Extinction was drifting into the bike lane.

Having said that, as a driver, I see too many cyclists that refuse to believe that the rules of the road apply to them. Bicyclists are not pedestrians. They need to stop at stop signs, drive on the proper side of the road, and unless they are children, stay off this sidewalk.

But I am willing to bet that most if not all of the bike VS car accidnets in this country are the fault of the car drivers.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    [quote]Originally posted by tmp:

<strong>God...

This is the reason that I gave up my bike. Even with the proliferation of bike paths in Los Angeles, it was still too hairy to be riding. Too many people paying attention to dialling the phone or swilling the mocha to care that their 3-ton Extinction was drifting into the bike lane.

Having said that, as a driver, I see too many cyclists that refuse to believe that the rules of the road apply to them. Bicyclists are not pedestrians. They need to stop at stop signs, drive on the proper side of the road, and unless they are children, stay off this sidewalk.

But I am willing to bet that most if not all of the bike VS car accidnets in this country are the fault of the car drivers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen, sister.

I get SOOOOOO MAD at my riding partners when they run stop signs or red lights. I've stopped screaming at them because they are grown ups, and they haven't listened before... . I just try to set a good example for the new guys who show up - you can be fast and cool and still stop at lights!

Thoth